ECY on love2brew.com right now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning everyone!

ECY is now available! BugCounty restriction has been change to 2 per person due to large shipment. Good luck! http://www.love2brew.com/

Question on ECY-34. I am pitching simultaneously with wyeast 3726 which likes higher temps. Can I ramp up to over 75*f after the first couple days? I know some brett gets really funky at high temps but didnt want to go that high if it would hurt the brett for the long term. Cheers!

Thank you! Ordered bug county and dirty dozen! Is anyone doing starter with these? Anyone have experience one way or the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Question on ECY-34. I am pitching simultaneously with wyeast 3726 which likes higher temps. Can I ramp up to over 75*f after the first couple days? I know some brett gets really funky at high temps but didnt want to go that high if it would hurt the brett for the long term. Cheers!

Should not be a problem, for further verification we checked with ECY and they are in agreement that raising the temperature should not negatively impact the culture.

Thank you! Ordered bug county and dirty dozen! Is anyone doing starter with these? Anyone have experience one way or the other?

YOu normally do not have to as these are enough for a 5-6 gallon pitch. Making a starter will just change the proportion of bugs/yeast in the mix so starters are not recommended. If you must make a starter, only use have the vial to do so, and pitch both the starter and the second half of the vial into the wort. The mix will still be different doing it that way, but will be closer to the original. I personally would NOT make a starter. I have heard of people using one vial in 10 gallons of wort successfully.

Should not be a problem, for further verification we checked with ECY and they are in agreement that raising the temperature should not negatively impact the culture.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Cheers!

YOu normally do not have to as these are enough for a 5-6 gallon pitch. Making a starter will just change the proportion of bugs/yeast in the mix so starters are not recommended. If you must make a starter, only use have the vial to do so, and pitch both the starter and the second half of the vial into the wort. The mix will still be different doing it that way, but will be closer to the original. I personally would NOT make a starter. I have heard of people using one vial in 10 gallons of wort successfully.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Cheers!

I think some folks get WAY too caught up on the whole starter thing with mixed cultures. The blend will change almost immediately upon pitching regardless of whether a starter was used. These beers go through such wild population swings as the beer ferments (as evidenced by scientific analysis of American Coolship beers), it's not something I worry about much as all. As long as all the populations of organisms are present, they will wax and wane as the beer goes through its many changes. The development of the beer may be different and the timing with which the populations hit their peaks and valleys may vary, but the end result will be largely the same.

The important thing to remember is to not allow the temperature to get too high in the starter or let it run a really long time. The one issue you can run into with mixed cultures containing bacteria is that the bacteria will become very active quickly and produce a lot of acid. Beyond a certain point, yeast will be inhibited in a very high acid environment.

When you look at traditional lambic producers, by definition the spontaneous method by which the wort is "innoculated" will result is different proportions of organisms almost each time they brew. Independent of those differences on the front end, the beer produced generally ferments out, goes through its changes, and transforms into a beautiful lambic.

I think Jeff Goldblum put it best: "Life, uh, finds a way".

I think I am going to pitch it from vial on one batch and throw a small portion of it in an anaerobic starter. Keep some around for a few batches or yeast bank it. It won't be exactly the same but it will still produce interesting results I'm sure.

If I can't brew with ECY20 for a month, should I leave it in the fridge like a sacch or at room temp like brett?

I think some folks get WAY too caught up on the whole starter thing with mixed cultures. The blend will change almost immediately upon pitching regardless of whether a starter was used. These beers go through such wild population swings as the beer ferments (as evidenced by scientific analysis of American Coolship beers), it's not something I worry about much as all. As long as all the populations of organisms are present, they will wax and wane as the beer goes through its many changes. The development of the beer may be different and the timing with which the populations hit their peaks and valleys may vary, but the end result will be largely the same.

The important thing to remember is to not allow the temperature to get too high in the starter or let it run a really long time. The one issue you can run into with mixed cultures containing bacteria is that the bacteria will become very active quickly and produce a lot of acid. Beyond a certain point, yeast will be inhibited in a very high acid environment.

When you look at traditional lambic producers, by definition the spontaneous method by which the wort is "innoculated" will result is different proportions of organisms almost each time they brew. Independent of those differences on the front end, the beer produced generally ferments out, goes through its changes, and transforms into a beautiful lambic.

I think Jeff Goldblum put it best: "Life, uh, finds a way".

This is good information, thanks. I have only always been told to not mess with mixes, but you have a solid point.

Yay! I got an order in for BugCounty. Can't wait to get that going. I'll probably do a couple batches with the vial.

Oh my God thanks for posting, got me some dirty dozen!!!

I've been watching everyday for a while now!

The best thing to do is subscribe to this thread so it sends you an email when someone posts. You can also like Love2Brew on Facebook to get notifications.

I have to say love2brew is a lot better at getting the product to the masses than Joe at Princeton homebrew. I like Joe, and stop by the shop when I head back home to NY, but after trying to get some ECY for over a year without success, I went to love2brew and was able to order yeast on two separate occasions.

I have to say love2brew is a lot better at getting the product to the masses than Joe at Princeton homebrew. I like Joe, and stop by the shop when I head back home to NY, but after trying to get some ECY for over a year without success, I went to love2brew and was able to order yeast on two separate occasions.

I gave up on that. I don't want 10 vials for $100, I want two.

LOL - his post time shows 11:17 and it is 10:30 EST. I can see the future!!!! My BugCounty Vertical has potential!!!

I got me a vial. This will be my second sour. I'm thinking a lambic style grainbill first, then something dark on that cake. Yum.

Wow it is still in stock almost 4 days later! Either we're all broke from Christmas or the stigma of bug county has worn off…

I just happened to see it on love2brew yesterday at lunch. I quickly got back to my computer to order.

Or $26 per vial after shipping is cost prohibitive for some.

Although once I get further into sours, I'm sure I'll give it a go.

Or $26 per vial after shipping is cost prohibitive for some.

Just read in another thread and confirmed on the website that you can choose a shipping carrier other than UPS. I did not see this when I ordered from them late last year. Would have saved $8+ on shipping. Just trying to alert people that they can choose USPS as a shipping option and make it a little more palatable price.

L2B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back