Eclipse Release Party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have no business being in this thread. im just a big Eclipse fan. it might have already been talked about here but i havent read all the posts yet. any hints or speculation as to what the "party bottle" is. they seem to be on the up and up with what the hot **** of the moment is in the beer nerd community. my guess is a mole theme

do i get partial credit for vanilla beans?

for anyone traveling back through Reno tomorrow total wine is getting bcbs, coffee and backyard rye

So, uh, what was the party bottle? I'm curious. Of course I'm going to have wait hours for these drunks to wake up, but oh well.

But how are you going to trade for Proprietors now!?!

Was kind of hoping I could offer hugs.

~~~

So, now that I've had breakfast and gathered my thoughts....

- They sold more tickets to the party this year, and it was apparent from the moment I walked in. Packed to the gills with people. No room to walk or even sit.
- Most people, when asked what their favorite of the night was, did not mention an Eclipse. The bottleshare has taken over I think.
- They really need to list the accurate ABV on those Eclipses.
- Vanilla Eclipse was good, but Javanilla was excellent in small quantities.
- Was not blown away by Pappy.

Last edited:
Was kind of hoping I could offer hugs.

~~~

So, now that I've had breakfast and gathered my thoughts....

- They sold more tickets to the party this year, and it was apparent from the moment I walked in. Packed to the gills with people. No room to walk or even sit.
- Most people, when asked what their favorite of the night was, did not mention an Eclipse. The bottleshare has taken over I think.
- They really need to list the accurate ABV on those Eclipses.
- Vanilla Eclipse was good, but Javanilla was excellent in small quantities.
- Was not blown away by Pappy.

Sounds like they need to move the event to a larger venue. I gotta go up there soon, and grab my bottles. What variants are worth getting more of in your opinion?

p7qv.jpg

Sounds like they need to move the event to a larger venue. I gotta go up there soon, and grab my bottles. What variants are worth getting more of in your opinion?

I thought the Java and High West Rye had promise, but were not worth the price tag.

every eclipse ever?

I thought $22 in 2009 was fair, even though it was twice the 2008 pricing ($10). I haven't felt any pricing was fair since then. Java for $31? Pappy for $40? Jeroboams for $165 to $200? With BCBS back in CA, I just don't have the interest. I am sure this post will come back to bite me and cause me to lose [more] favor there, but I have to be honest: Eclipse isn't worth the cost to me anymore.

Sorry I punched you so hard stupac2.
I'm honestly not sure if this is a joke or not. I guess I was pretty drunk last night.

Also, I totally agree about the size. Last year was WAY more comfortable. They need to either shrink it down or get a bigger venue. And next year will be even worse since they're apparently adding some fermenters to the main pub area.

As for the variants, I really liked Vanilla, and a lot of the others had promise, it's just sort of hard to tell after the first few. I definitely thought Pappy was a bit harsh, but want to judge it out of the bottle. I also agree on cost, it's getting harder and harder to justify buying a bunch of bottles, though I'm apparently the one crazy guy who likes how Eclipse ages, at least for a year or two. At futures prices I think they make sense, but the in-demand variants are getting kinda crazy...

Oh, also, I was the guy in the whale t-shirt. Odds are good I poured anyone who was there some Supplication at some point.

I'm honestly not sure if this is a joke or not. I guess I was pretty drunk last night.

You took my wig off when someone was taking a photo of me, and I punched you harder than I intended.

I'm apparently the one crazy guy who likes how Eclipse ages, at least for a year or two.

YOU'RE the one who keeps encouraging them! Actually, someone else told me that the Rittenhouse Rye '09 at the party was amazing.

I also was way drunker than I had meant to be. Whoops.

RIP Whole Foods bag.

Also, related to the discussion -- this much Bourbon County:

20131206_165602_zpsa05bfe42.jpg

Cost as much as this much Eclipse:

20131206_170736_zpsabf0dc7a.jpg

Funny story about that lone BCBCS. I went to Willows, which only got one case. Willows is the place that sold Pliny for $7.99 a few years ago and then never got it again, lulz. So he tells me it's one per person so he can "share the generosity, you know?" I nod appreciatively and enthusiastically, and ask how much it is. He says, "$8."

I bought it anyway, but seriously, generous? :rolleyes:

You took my wig off when someone was taking a photo of me, and I punched you harder than I intended.

YOU'RE the one who keeps encouraging them! Actually, someone else told me that the Rittenhouse Rye '09 at the party was amazing.

RIP Whole Foods bag.

Also, related to the discussion -- this much Bourbon County:

20131206_165602_zpsa05bfe42.jpg

Cost as much as this much Eclipse:

20131206_170736_zpsabf0dc7a.jpg

Funny story about that lone BCBCS. I went to Willows, which only got one case. Willows is the place that sold Pliny for $7.99 a few years ago and then never got it again, lulz. So he tells me it's one per person so he can "share the generosity, you know?" I nod appreciatively and enthusiastically, and ask how much it is. He says, "$8."

I bought it anyway, but seriously, generous? :rolleyes:
What varieties are the colors of Eclipse in that shot?

Back row: 2 Rums, 3 Pappys
Middle: 2 Evan Williams (black), 2 Four Roses (red), 1 Elijah Craig 12 (purple)
Front: 2 High West Bourbon (orange), EC12
Awesome, thanks. Of the ones that might get distributed, High West is the only one I'm interested in. I'll have to keep an eye out for the orange.

Awesome, thanks. Of the ones that might get distributed, High West is the only one I'm interested in. I'll have to keep an eye out for the orange.

They're all getting distro'ed except Rum and Pappy (and Vanilla), I'm told.

I thought High West Rye was better than the bourbon one, which is pictured. Several of the bourbons were pretty 'faceless' in my opinion -- you could tell they were barrel-aged, but the underlying spirit wasn't that distinct.

I remember taking off your wig but not the punch. So maybe it wasn't all that hard after all?
Hmm, I didn't like that one very much. I think 4 years is really pushing it. That said I've been really enjoying most of the variants I've had in the past few months as I've been clearing out space for this year's.

I made it home. I still feel like death, good meeting Arbitrator and CharlieMurphy and probably other people who I met later and forgot their names here, good people. I got way too drunk at the end,but I think that was the point right? Also mad props to stakem for already coming through on the goods for his bottles, headed out Monday.

They're all getting distro'ed except Rum and Pappy (and Vanilla), I'm told.

I thought High West Rye was better than the bourbon one, which is pictured. Several of the bourbons were pretty 'faceless' in my opinion -- you could tell they were barrel-aged, but the underlying spirit wasn't that distinct.
Good to know. I'll definitely watch for the rye. I love High West Rye, and the rye variants were usually among my favorites anyway.

I remember taking off your wig but not the punch. So maybe it wasn't all that hard after all?

Could be that I read too much into your saying, "Ow, you hit me hard!" before lurching off.

Best part was that someone leaned in and said, "I've wanted to do that for a long time." Don't know who he was though.

Back