Eclipse Release Party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tequila was awesome, I normally hate tequila-barrel things but it was by far the best of any I've had. It was up there with my favorite variants at the party (and no, I'm not planning on trading my bottle, so I'm not just pumping it up).

I thought Salted Caramel was fine, bought a couple because it was interesting. My favorites, all basically tied so no particular order, were:

-Joseph Magnus
-EC 12
-Maple
-Maple Vanilla
-Tequila

I didn't like the Maple Coffee as much as the others, I think mostly because I don't drink coffee and prefer it to be more subtle in beers, both Maple Coffee and regular Coffee were pretty heavy on the coffee.
I am pretty sensitive to salt flavors, especially in beer so take my review of the Salted Caramel with a grain of salt (pun intended?) Other people at the party seemed to like it but said they wouldn't buy it at $31 a bottle (the most expensive bottle)

I think this is the general catch-all thread for FiftyFifty, anyone else excited for futures?

(Link to media)

I think this is a decent balance between regular barrels and variants, although I'm amused by the cinnamon nut bun thing.

I'm for sure hyped, cinnamon in beers is not my jam so I will be passing on that one.

I have a friend looking for an extra ticket. Likely a long shot now but as it gets closer if anyone has one free up please let me know!

Seriously can't wait, you making it beerandraiderfan ?

bArF got the general into bourbon barrel beers last night prepping for the ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶i̶g̶n̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶P̶O̶W̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶ party Thursday night.

Twas a good 40oz of beer to drink on a Monday.

47287910_10215962235683195_5984266418433032192_n.jpg

rambo-iii.jpg

NES_02.gif

I ain't goin' over the pass and down the hill until February (SFBW). I need some hops and/or coffee beers to hold me over.

Anyone bringing cans to the party wanna IP trade some rando Eclipse bottle from years past or some other ******** out of the cellar or whatnot?

Running the gauntlet of Eclipse nightly this week I guess. . . tacos, Eclipse, another snowstorm and Marquette thumping UTEP, I'll call it a good Tuesday evening. Wanted to see what muh date thought about the beer, if I had just dropped coin to take her to a party full of beer she'll hate. . . ****, she pounded out both of her pours before I was even close to done with mine. (daughter i am proud.meme)

EC 2015 was way more "choclatey" than 2016 which was way more dry and oaky, both still awesome AF despite being relatively different from each other.

47386421_10215969031253080_6960439371585552384_n.jpg

Gonna go drop the dog off w Dad tonight and split another Eclipse. Eyes on the 2011 Brandy Eclipse, but I dunno, pops can be persnickety with his barrel aging tastes.

See ya upstanding gentlemen tomorrow.

Running the gauntlet of Eclipse nightly this week I guess. . . tacos, Eclipse, another snowstorm and Marquette thumping UTEP, I'll call it a good Tuesday evening. Wanted to see what muh date thought about the beer, if I had just dropped coin to take her to a party full of beer she'll hate. . . ****, she pounded out both of her pours before I was even close to done with mine. (daughter i am proud.meme)

EC 2015 was way more "choclatey" than 2016 which was way more dry and oaky, both still awesome AF despite being relatively different from each other.

47386421_10215969031253080_6960439371585552384_n.jpg

Gonna go drop the dog off w Dad tonight and split another Eclipse. Eyes on the 2011 Brandy Eclipse, but I dunno, pops can be persnickety with his barrel aging tastes.

See ya upstanding gentlemen tomorrow.
That glass wins so hard.

This is... a ****ing lot of variants:

Coconut $25
Maple $25
Mocha $25
Vanilla Rye $25
Joseph Magnus $22
Peach Brandy $22
Belle Meade $22
Basil Hayden $22
Knob Creek Rye $22
Woodford Reserve $22
Buffalo Trace $22
Salted Caramel $25
Apple Brandy $22
Woodford Double Oak $22
Peated Scotch $22

Plus the party variant and the Mochanut club variant. I don't think I made enough room on my Eclipse shelf this past year...

This is... a ****ing lot of variants:

Coconut $25
Maple $25
Mocha $25
Vanilla Rye $25
Joseph Magnus $22
Peach Brandy $22
Belle Meade $22
Basil Hayden $22
Knob Creek Rye $22
Woodford Reserve $22
Buffalo Trace $22
Salted Caramel $25
Apple Brandy $22
Woodford Double Oak $22
Peated Scotch $22

Plus the party variant and the Mochanut club variant. I don't think I made enough room on my Eclipse shelf this past year...
does anyone know what the party variant is yet?

edit: never mind just saw the email

Last edited:
I sure hope its better than Tequila. My least favorite by far from last year :(

Tequila blew the doors off the Peanut Mallow one. Although I think they knew that, and why they held it back for the Strange Brew festival.

I'm predicting a double barrel Eclipse for the party bottle.

Wanted to lie and say it was black licorice, but there are limits to being a dick.

47680932_10215975656338703_4559296608646201344_n.jpg

Went with 2011 Elijah Craig 20 last night. Lower carbonation that your average Eclipse, not at all a negative in any sense, but man was this a fine ride. Even pops, who tends to dislike any beer he didn't make himself, was blown away. "Best Eclipse ever." Zero cardboard/oxidation notes going for it, good amount of oak, lesser bourbon/vanilla than at its release. Really appreciated how the body was a little less viscous than the current trend of flabby stouts. Those old Eclipse bottles and Central Waters really know how to reveal barrel subtleties better than a 15% sludge fest.

I think I'll bring a 2011 Brandy if anyone wants to wax sentimental about the Eclipse that is for the most part, no longer with us.

Later dudes, off to go eat some lunch at Beto's on the way over there. #6 combo all day (taco, sope, enchilada). No chilaquiles there that I know off. Speaking of which, need to talk chilaquiles again, bc I hit a new spot in Berkeley last month and it was good (albeit relatively expensive).

If she allows me, I'll be in a hideous coat with the oh **** whaddup frog shirt. Say hi, let's spark one etc. . .

hblp.gif

Which were the standout variants?
Joseph Magnus was great again this year, Buffalo Trace was good, I liked the regular Woodford (the double barrel was kinda weird), the party bottle (Rum Banana Coconut) was oddly compelling.

I think I liked the base beer less this year than I did last year, but last year was a standout for fresh Eclipse. Normally I wait a few years for mine.

Joseph Magnus was great again this year, Buffalo Trace was good, I liked the regular Woodford (the double barrel was kinda weird), the party bottle (Rum Banana Coconut) was oddly compelling.

I think I liked the base beer less this year than I did last year, but last year was a standout for fresh Eclipse. Normally I wait a few years for mine.
Yeah I saw the party bottle and gave a WTF look but then tried it and it was actually good. Buffalo trace was good, I echo the double barrel, had too much tannic flavor going on. Same with the peach brandy, as it warmed it had this weird astringency.

Yeah I saw the party bottle and gave a WTF look but then tried it and it was actually good. Buffalo trace was good, I echo the double barrel, had too much tannic flavor going on. Same with the peach brandy, as it warmed it had this weird astringency.
I liked both the brandy variants, just not as much as the others. I thought they had a bizarre amount of fruit flavor in them, which I've never gotten from brandy barrels before. So maybe that was it? Otherwise I didn't notice any astringency.

Back