ebiab-pump bag material?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,
Just read through this forum and can not find my answer.

I used my old voile bag many times with out issue on my old setup when I direct fired the keggle then put the lid on and wrapped in a sleeping bag.

Now I have a ebiab setup, false bottom, pump and the same bag and I cussing a lot.
I have heard others say this but the bag acts like a heat barrier.
The temp above the false bottom/PID controller is about 6-7 degrees cooler.
If I try to recirculate, the pump will starve and the bag will not drain fast enough.

So is there a more course weave bag that ebiab guys use that I can recirculate with or do I just give up on the pump and wrap up the keggle like I used to do?

thanks Kevin

I just had a similar problem this weekend. I lifted my bag off the bottom and levered my long stirring spoon under it then set my bag back down over top. It helped create more filter area for the liquid to pull through.
I am using a tan chinese ebay pump, so if you are using a chugger or other higher powered/volume pump, you may still have to partially close the output valve (if you have one)

Hi,
Just read through this forum and can not find my answer.

I used my old voile bag many times with out issue on my old setup when I direct fired the keggle then put the lid on and wrapped in a sleeping bag.

Now I have a ebiab setup, false bottom, pump and the same bag and I cussing a lot.
I have heard others say this but the bag acts like a heat barrier.
The temp above the false bottom/PID controller is about 6-7 degrees cooler.
If I try to recirculate, the pump will starve and the bag will not drain fast enough.

So is there a more course weave bag that ebiab guys use that I can recirculate with or do I just give up on the pump and wrap up the keggle like I used to do?

thanks Kevin

I have 2 new bags to try, one is the MoreBeer bag.

I will give that bag a try first with a 1x grind and see what happens.
I will also lift the shelf up a bit higher to protect myself.

My last bag scorched the element, bad...I had to replace it, and I will have to pitch the beer I made also as it tastes burnt, very bad burnt.

I have a chugger pump with a valve on it and have tried to throttle down but the bag I previously used would not drain fast enough.

More to come....
thanks Kevin

I use a voile bag for my BIAB. All I do is choke down the flow with the outgoing valve till the wort slows down to a trickle. I have never had a problem with the flow being totally shut off, even when making wheat beer.

I use a voile bag for my BIAB. All I do is choke down the flow with the outgoing valve till the wort slows down to a trickle. I have never had a problem with the flow being totally shut off, even when making wheat beer.

Blake, by "outgoing valve" I'm assuming that you're talking about a valve connected to the "output" of the pump. You're not meaning the kettle valve, right.

Keith

What is your grind like?
1x or more?
Gap settting on your mill?
What brand of bag do you use?

Sorry for all the questions but trying to see how you do it since it works for you.

thanks Kevin

What is your grind like?
Flour
1x or more?
No less than two times. If I'm not satisfied with the way it looks I grind it once more.
Gap settting on your mill?
I believe .03. About the thickness of a credit card+.
What brand of bag do you use?
I made my own bag from Walmart voile window panels.
You can see that here.

Sorry for all the questions but trying to see how you do it since it works for you.

thanks Kevin
No problem, I don't mind helping a fellow brewer.

No problem, I don't mind helping a fellow brewer.

WOW - thanks for the information.

In looking at your pictures.... did you open up the holes on the bottom of your basket or just the sides?

Seems like your bag is somewhat coarse.... not too fine.

I talked to a RIMS guy recently... he says that if your crush grain coarse, 1x, but run the pump full ON you will actually get HIGHER effeciency than a fine crush and low/no pump.
You need a coarse bag to do it and a coarse grind, so the water flows faster.

Thoughts on this theory?
I plan to try in next brew.

thanks Kevin

I opened the holes on the basket on the bottom as well. I did enough to help the flow without weakening the structure.

If you have sheers on the windows in your home you will see what voile looks like. It is perfect for BIAB bags and it is strong to be so frilly.

Honestly I don't fret over a few gravity points. As long as my beer taste good to me it means I am doing it right. I just bottled an Innis and Gunn clone that had a lower than expected FG but it really tastes very good and will sneak up on you.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Fine crush, fine mesh slow flow or course crush, course mesh, fast flow both seem to end up with the same results.

If you go with the fast flow you must not stray from your brew rig until you get the flow down to a consistent rate. The wort flowing through the grain can slow down to a trickle and the next thing you know your site glass is empty, your wort is flowing over the side of your kettle and your element will dry fire.

If you go with the fast flow you must not stray from your brew rig until you get the flow down to a consistent rate. The wort flowing through the grain can slow down to a trickle and the next thing you know your site glass is empty, your wort is flowing over the side of your kettle and your element will dry fire.

This is what happend to me !
I had to replace the element and dump the batch I made.... ugh

Stopping this from happening is why I am asking what you are doing :)

What are your temps?
Consistent top and bottom?
I am wanting to pump so my temps stay consistent while mashing.

Effeciency is not my goal... consistent effeciency is the goal... and not buring my wort/elment again.

thanks Kevin

Back