Ebay questions/help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have bought a few things off Ebay, but never really had any dealings with Ebay before.

To make a very long story only slightly shorter, I bought a phone for my son on Ebay in January. I got a tracking number right away, but it was never shipped. After a week, I called the company and they admitted they didn't have that item in stock, but agreed to "upgrade" the phone and send it out the same day. They never sent that one, either, although I did get a tracking number. I had to call again, and got an apology and an offer to send an appropriate replacement in green. My son (who was home sick that day) said, "no way- I wanted a black v-cast phone). I said no, so they agreed to give us an "upgrade" of a black phone of a higher quality. Fine. The phone finally came. It was blue, there was no bluetooth headset, and the battery back was broken. They didn't reply to my emails, and I was "caller number 5" on hold when I tried to call. (I don't have a cell phone myself, so I paid long distance for all of those calls- probably only $5-$7, but a real pain).

Anyway, I went to "case resolution" with Ebay, and of course I won. I got a refund, and sent back the phone.

The question I have now is this- I got an email from Ebay saying that the vendor wants my transaction to be cancelled, since I returned the item. Well, I gave negative feedback on this company, but I'm only one of about 10,000 reviews.

Does cancelling the transaction then negate my negative feedback? Is that why they would ask to cancel the transaction? I mean, they sold me a phone that they freely admit they don't have in stock. They lied three times about sending out a replacement, and then finally sent a broken replacement. I did get my money back from Ebay, not from them.

Here's the email:

Dear XXXXXXXX,
mobileliquidations has sent you a request to cancel the transaction for LG Chocolate VX-8500 BLACK CDMA MP3 VCAST Verizon Phone (280458670723).

Reason for request: The seller says that you have returned or will be returning the item for a refund.

Please click the Take action button to accept or decline this request.

Screw them, I'd just let it ride. Seems like they need you to voluntarily do it and it I'm guessing it will help them somehow for you to do this. Bad customer service pisses me off.

Screw them, I'd just let it ride. Seems like they need you to voluntarily do it and it I'm guessing it will help them somehow for you to do this. Bad customer service pisses me off.

Yeah, that was my guess too. Maybe if I cancelled the transaction, Ebay wouldn't "count" it? The refund came from Ebay, NOT from the company. So I guess that's a black mark on this company's record.

I didn't click anything- my choices were to "take action" and agree or disagree. I figured they ignored me for 6 weeks, I can ignore one email.

I've been using ebay extensively for years. Over those years, they have slowly leaned further and further towards vendors. Most of their policies, including the feedback system as it is now, lean towards vendors as opposed to people just selling one or two items every once-in-awhile.

That said, I have only had a few disputes like this, but the ones I have had, I have left the feedback as is. Basically, they are asking you to cancel the transaction so ebay can delete the feedback for their prized member, the vendor.

Leave it as is, and if the vendor tries bully tactics, ignore them. I had one threaten to sue me for slander and even send me paperwork from a "lawyer" who they supposedly worked with. I had an attorney friend call the bar association for that area and sure enough, fake lawyer.

Screw them.

Ignore the message. Leave your feedback.

eBay used to be a great site, but quickly was taken over by sellers (I am one, but not so much anymore). These sellers pushed eBay into not allowing as much negative feedback because "sellers pay the bills at eBay" in that they are where eBay makes their money.

There have always been buyers who are @sshats and leave negative feedback for no reason. However, the reason why eBay is successful is that BUYERS buy sellers products, not the reverse. The eBay experience has been tainted, and so the buyer must be aware...

Stick to your guns...!

Yoop,
As an Ebay Power Seller myself I understand your frustration. You did the right thing by leaving negative feedback. Far too often good people are take advantage of by shady Ebay sellers. The vendor is asking you to cancel the transaction so that Ebay will "reverse" the final seller "fees" that the vendor "paid" on the transaction. Screw that! You were given the run around and treated like dirt.
Ignore the seller just like they ignored you! I'd never treat a customer like that.

Yoop,
As an Ebay Power Seller myself I understand your frustration. You did the right thing by leaving negative feedback. Far too often good people are take advantage of by shady Ebay sellers. The vendor is asking you to cancel the transaction so that Ebay will "reverse" the final seller "fees" that the vendor "paid" on the transaction. Screw that! You were given the run around and treated like dirt.
Ignore the seller just like they ignored you! I'd never treat a customer like that.

Thanks! I've never bought much, maybe 25 items over 5 years. But after the shoddy treatment (and the refund from Ebay), I wondered why I should cancel the transaction. That didn't make sense to me.

I won't cancel the transaction. I mean, I didn't cancel my order. I paid immediately, and spent over a month dealing with this company. I'm assuming that because Ebay refunded me, they have to get the money from the company and that affects the seller/Ebay relationship. I'll stick to my guns on this. After all, the Ebay case was settled in my favor.

Back