Easy Good Cider Recipe for Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenstogie

Reaction score
What's the process for making Cider? I've made 10 batches of beer but the lady likes cider so I thought I'd try that for her as she's nice to me. ;)
Is there a easy recipe? Isn't there a sticky on this?

Get applejuice, put into a carboy, add yeast, wait until the rhino-farts subside.

That's basically it, you can check the Cider recipe database for more specifics:

Cider - Home Brew Forums

Or check other threads in this forum that have recipes listed in them.

Wow that's too easy,
  • Any type of Applejuice?
  • What about using cider?
  • What kind/kinds of yeast?
  • How Long?
  • What Temp Range?

1- No Preservatives
2- Thats ok to use
3- Expriement with different ones... I have even used Nottingham for some Apfelwein turned out good
4- For my Apfelwein 2 months
5- Low to Mid 70's is what I have used.......
Maybe some other people could give you a little more detail. I am a newbie also

All the above is right, I have a house cider that is 2 parts Motts apple juice and 1 part not from concentrate juice, nottingham yeast, and ambient ferment temps of about 70 to 72. Results in quite a nice cider at about 5% abv. Carb it up in bottles and let it sit for a couple months, and the swmbo will be happy :)

Just follow the EdWorts apfelwein recipe in the database, and all over this forum. It's the easiest cider recipe you'll find, and it's great. Then you can join the apfelwein mafia we've got around here.

Well I did it. I am brewing my first cider.

Which is a very simple easy recipe...

• 3 Gallons Raw cider straight from the orchard (no preservatives),
  • 3 campden pills (let sit overnight)
  • 1 lb lt brwn sugar, (mix w/qrt H2O, boil for 20 min)
  • Mix
  • pitch yeast (Cote Des Blancs Wine Yeast)

It's bubbling away and it does have an odor that beer does not emit. Kind of sulphur-ish, not super strong only noticable when you walk in the room but not particularly pleasant either. My init grav reading I believe was 1.060, At least I am on my way!

Well I did it. I am brewing my first cider.

Which is a very simple easy recipe...

• 3 Gallons Raw cider straight from the orchard (no preservatives),
  • 3 campden pills (let sit overnight)
  • 1 lb lt brwn sugar, (mix w/qrt H2O, boil for 20 min)
  • Mix
  • pitch yeast (Cote Des Blancs Wine Yeast)

It's bubbling away and it does have an odor that beer does not emit. Kind of sulphur-ish, not super strong only noticable when you walk in the room but not particularly pleasant either. My init grav reading I believe was 1.060, At least I am on my way!

Yep, that smell is normal for the first few days. Good luck with your batch!

Will the smell disappear after some time? Would that be a sign for the cider being 'ready'?

The smell should be gone by day 4 or 5, typically. Judging the cider by smell is not going to be very accurate. You're better off taking a hydrometer reading, you will get more consistent results that way.

The smell should be gone by day 4 or 5, typically. Judging the cider by smell is not going to be very accurate. You're better off taking a hydrometer reading, you will get more consistent results that way.

Thank you. Do you know which one I need or if those two are the same?

Oechsleweight/Hydrometer to measure sugar content in wine, scale from -20 to +120

or

The Oechsleweight is the winemakers most important instrument. With the help of it it is possible to obtain considerably safer results.

What are fellow brewers thoughts on Carbonating or not. I like the idea but I also like the idea of some sweetness too.

If you want carbonation and sweetness, start thinking about a kegging system. You can backsweeten with non-fermentable sugar, but it wont be close to the taste of the original natural apple sugar.

In my experience, sulfur smell is a sign of either sulfite (campden) used before pitching the yeast, or a ferment that is going too fast. Keep sulfite use to a minimum and keep the ferments cool and it will smell good.

Use the forum search function - it can answer just about any question

Back