Easy extract (from a can/kit) Stout recipe for n00b

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poincare

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a n00b. I have only brewed 4 batches so far. 3 from "canned" kits (extract only?) and one from a local homebrew that was excellent and didn't require mashing/smashing, meshing, or whatever. I'd like to make an oatmeal/chocolate/sweet/whatever Stout next. But, i'd like to make it as a 2.5 gallon, not 5 gallons. After much searching I wasn't able to find anything that looked easy. And, when I mean easy, I mean "the least complicated as possible", please!

I'm feeling a bit adventurous (as in ready to inch a little past a 'kit') but I'm not sure I have the skills yet for more complex brews.

Thus, I'm wondering if anyone out there has a really really really easy stout-y recipe that is suitable for a noob like myself and could be easily put together from either local home brew supplies or some kit somewhere.

Please help this noob out; and, thank you in advance!

Hello!

Since you are looking for 2.5 Gallon batches, you can simply find a 5 Gallon batch recipe and cut the ingredients in half. I'm certain you can find plenty of simple extract recipes for stouts. If you look in the "recipes" section (along the top with "Main . Brewspace . Recipes . Wiki ....") you'll find a section for stouts. Then sort by "prefix" and you'll have all of the Extract recipes lumped together. Just search through until you find something you feel confident brewing. Good Luck!!

-Tripod

hmmmm, won't you find that a stout will be using steeping grains in addition to the extract. No real trouble or added complexity to your brew day, just a 30 minute steeping / teabagging of the grains....

Hello!

Since you are looking for 2.5 Gallon batches, you can simply find a 5 Gallon batch recipe and cut the ingredients in half. I'm certain you can find plenty of simple extract recipes for stouts. If you look in the "recipes" section (along the top with "Main . Brewspace . Recipes . Wiki ....") you'll find a section for stouts. Then sort by "prefix" and you'll have all of the Extract recipes lumped together. Just search through until you find something you feel confident brewing. Good Luck!!

-Tripod

OK. I found an interesting one that looks doable for my level. It's https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/boondock-irish-stout-96675/ but I'm wondering about the ingredients list.

For example, when they say (grains) 0.5 LBS Carmel/Crystal Malt 80L and 0.33 LBS Flaked Barley ... would I reduce these to 0.25 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt and 0.165 lbs Flaked Barley? Would I reduce the pre-wort water volume from 4.5 quarts to 2.25 quarts?

Would I also do this with the extract and hops? And, if so, how can I "half" 4 lbs of liquid malt to get 2 lbs and how to half 1.75 lbs of Light Dry Extract to get 0.875 lbs Light Dry Extract when my local homebrew store only sells 6 & 3.3 lbs liquid and 1 & 3 lbs dry extract? Would I just throw the remainder away or pour the unused liquid down the drain?

Thanks guys for any help!! Like I said, I'm still a n00b....

sounds like your going to need to buy some scales.....

17oz_scale.jpg

sounds like your going to need to buy some scales.....

17oz_scale.jpg

Yeah, scales and tupperwares... I half stuff all the time and just save the remainder anyway I can. Of course I use Dry Extract but I bet you can save liquid extract in tupperware containers or something.

I use a vacuum sealer to seal up unused hops and then store in the feezer until I need 'em. After two or three batches, I'll make a "pot luck", frankenstein brew out of whatever ingredients I have remaining.

-Tripod

Back