East coast ale up 'n down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titleist

Reaction score
I did Beersmith's Easy Cream Ale recipe using East Coast Ale WLP008.

As I read this is a top fermenter, and as then expected that's what I got. A good strong fermentation on top, leaving a densely packed krausen that almost looked like styrofoam floating on top.

So, after 2 weeks and still having the krausen on top I gently nudged the carboy to see if the krausen would fall. It did, and with the chunks there were what looked like yeast streaming off of the chunks. So I thought aha, it was done and the krausen just had a ton of CO2 in it and it was stuck floating on top.

So after the krausen and streaming yeast fell to the bottom the top was relatively clear. I figured another week and I should be good to go. Nope.

After 2 days the krausen's there again and it still looks to be fermenting. I'm a day shy of 3 weeks, used appropriate starter on stir plate, had a good top ferment that started going visible in less than 12 hours, had what seemed to be a visible finish to first part of ferment and had floating krausen for weeks.

After a nudge I get a drop and then more krausen all over again with new bubbles on top. Pic included of the 2nd krausen.

I didn't shake but more nudged back and forth to make the top move and get the krausen to drop. Is this more likely CO2 escape catching yeast and bringing it back to the top repeatedly?

And if so, should I just rack into the keg at 4 weeks?

I'm thinking let it settle one last time for a week or 2 then rack into keg.

Since I'll need to let it sit for a bit I'm leary of taking a gravity reading for fear of contamination.... a time where I guess I need to get a refrac :)

Opinion?

I know the recipe was two stage ale ferment.... I usually leave it in the primary until done. Is this a recipe which demands secondary ferment?

IMG_0631.jpg

Did you check the gravity? I have had krausen stick around with other yeasts from time to time, and just racked from underneath. A gravity sample will tell if fermentation is done though. Many times I can't see through the krausen stain on my carboys either, so it looks like krausen but is really just remnants stuck to the glass or plastic.

it's looking like that's my only option at this point.

I don't have a thief so I'll have to see if the wife has a baster around. If not I'll need to pick one up.

Refrac and pipette are needed for times like this I think.

I have an auto siphon that I use as a theif, I think it sucks as a siphon so I repurposed it! I am willing to bet you have beer now and are ready to move onto bottles/kegs.

got an autosiphon as well, but I use it only to rack because it's got more crevices for bacteria to hide and I usually use PBW and star san to clean mine. Was hoping of something costing less to pull a sample or someone had similar issues with this yeast to let me know if it never falls or if it's still fermenting or if it's just CO2 blowoff catching yeast and recaking it.

I'm thinking after a strong ferment that I'm about done in terms of sugar burn, and I'm not sure how much more this yeast will attenuate anyway.

Looking into a refrac now since I see I'm going to need it in the future. I never check grav during mash because if I've hit my temps correctly there's not much more I can do without messing around more than I'd like to.

So I guess I'll let it sit and wait till I get the refrac and pipette.

it's looking like that's my only option at this point.

I don't have a thief so I'll have to see if the wife has a baster around. If not I'll need to pick one up.

Refrac and pipette are needed for times like this I think.

A hydrometer is going to give you a more accurate reading than a refractometer at this point. The alcohol in the beer will affect the refractometer reading. Even though there are formulae for adjusting you need to have an idea of the alcohol content to really be accurate.
The guys that manufacture the Auto Siphon make a very easy to sanitize & use thief. Give it a try.

1.010 with a hydrometer.

Still have yeast getting trapped up top, dissolving when nudged and falling to the bottom.

It's a cycle..... I'm thinking waiting a few more days until it looks like it's all either fallen or up top and racking it off to the keg.

Never getting a truly bright beer here.... I got a honey wheat that finished a few days ago, everything fell but it's still not bright though I whirlflocked it.

Guess I'm living with it or eventually just gonna try gassing a free carboy and going secondary for however long it takes to clear, just to see if things get any brighter.

Back