Early flocculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigweiser

Reaction score
I had gotten misinformation about cold conditioning my ale and decided to bring my American stout down to 40 deg around 9 days after pitching. I don't know that the yeast had an adequate chance to scrub out fermentation byproducts. I tasted today and something isn't right. Wondering if I should try to rouse the yeast by stirring up the yeast cake a bit or if I should pitch a fresh batch to do the job. Anyone have any experience with this?

Warm it up to 68F or so,then gently swirl the fermenter to stir up some yeast. It might take till the next day to see any fermentation happening again.

Warm it up to 68F or so,then gently swirl the fermenter to stir up some yeast. It might take till the next dat to see any fermentation happening again.

At this stage, you might not see any further visible activity, but this would be the best chance for giving the yeast the chance to consume whatever by-products they can. Wait until it's fully warmed to 68-70*F (which will take overnight) before you try to rouse the yeast.

What's the FG on this and when did you sample for that?

BigFloyd said:
At this stage, you might not see any further visible activity, but this would be the best chance for giving the yeast the chance to consume whatever by-products they can. Wait until it's fully warmed to 68-70*F (which will take overnight) before you try to rouse the yeast. What's the FG on this and when did you sample for that?

I took a reading before starting to cool and it was at 1.021. Starting to warm now.

Back