Earliest cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, I just got the capacity to cold crash so this will be my first time attempting it. What's the earliest people have cold crashed following fermentation is complete and fg hit? I usually wait to do anything with my beers until at least the 3 week mark. However, this latest brew, I changed up my process and things happened way quicker. It has been just shy of two weeks and fg is at 1.013 down from og of 1.056. Also, more time allows the yeast to cleanup off flavors. However, my taste sample from the gravity reading was by far, the best brew ive done to date. Im so excited! I threw the carboy into my keezer where its 40 to crash. I was going to give it probably a week since I won't have a ready keg until then. Anyone see any issues? The carboy has been in there for about 4 hours, so I can pull it out without too much trouble if need be. Thoughts?

I've cold crashed after a week and a half... just depends on the brew. Typically I wait at least 3-4 weeks.

Yes, clarity.

This is just a simple ale. Nothing too spectacular or something that needs time for flavor development.

As mentioned though, best taste sample I've done. I like my changes so far

I only have one brew under my belt, but I cold crashed at just shy of 2 week after my sample taste was acceptable and only crashed for about 36 hours approximately... The difference in clarity before and after was amazing even in the short timeframe and the taste afterward was greatly improved too. I don't think I will do it any other way except for the Hefe I have fermenting now. Kudos!

Just to clarify, my question is the earliest cold crash from pitching yeast to putting it into your cold crash vessel? I know the more time the better to allow time on the cake, but, I have a hard time not reacting to it now seeing as the sample was beyond phenomenal to my personal taste. Maybe it's just me still not having enough patience. I'm just curious how much more time on the cake will improve the flavor if it's already awesome.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I may just continue crashing and let it ride. Maybe the stars were aligned just right that I have done my first grain (specialty grain/extract) to glass (after kegging and carbing for a week which will come after crash) in under 3 weeks. Woohoo!

I don't believe in leaving it on the cake. Once the yeast have took up the diacetyl there is nothing left for them. They have to go dormant. There is no more sources for energy. I have crashed and fined ales in less than a week from brewing. The youngest beer I have drank is 8 days and it can be very good.

Dang, that's awesome!

I believe I'm seriously dialing in my process now with this ale being my first full boil, and just all around having the right equipment to do things right. This has me doing a big sigh of relief that I can take this extract brewing a bit further than where I have been the last few batches. So far, as I mentioned, this brew is my best so far and it's one of the most simple I've done to date. I did my Cascade IPA that is fermenting following the same process and is about 4 days behind my ale. I know that so far, the IPA has smelled the best from simply just smelling the airlock. So, I'll check it probably next week and get it cold crashing.

Good things are happening it seems! 2012 may just be the year seeing as both of these brews were my first 2 of the year!

This is something to keep in mind. The typical instructions one gets with a kit are purposely designed to deal with a wide range of scenarios (and abilities), typically erring on the side of things going less than smoothly (ie slower). When conditions are dialed in, fermentation is very quick and efficient, Many homebrewers leave their beer on the yeast longer than is needed. It is not the case that one has to leave the beer on the cake for a long time, that is strictly a personal choice. I assume the thinking is better safe than sorry.

I defiantly agree with better safe than sorry. Tight fermentation schedules are for the more experienced. For some reason I just enjoy it.

What I don't like is when someone says it can't be done or I can't make good beer that way. They are wrong.

I don't believe in leaving it on the cake. Once the yeast have took up the diacetyl there is nothing left for them. They have to go dormant. There is no more sources for energy. I have crashed and fined ales in less than a week from brewing. The youngest beer I have drank is 8 days and it can be very good.

Yep me too. I usually keg at days 10-14 for most ales, though.

If you pitch the proper amount of yeast at the proper wort temperature, and maintain the proper fermentation temperature, any normal <1.065 ale will be about finished in 5-7 days. I like to leave the beer in the fermenter for about 3 days after FG is reached, and then I either dryhop or keg.

I usually only keg something like a mild on day 7 or so, with most others kegged at day 10-14.

Thanks guys. I believe I've just dialed in the sweet spot with my process. I haven't had something finish and taste this good before this quickly. Or at least with these last 2 brews.

I can't stress enough to new people as I'm still very new to the hobby, process process process. When you think you have it nailed down, get on here and read more. Slight tweaks have turned my experience from good to great. I can only imagine it getting better from here if this trend continues.

I'll just keep cold crashing and keg when one becomes available. Thanks again guys!

I only have one brew under my belt, but I cold crashed at just shy of 2 week after my sample taste was acceptable and only crashed for about 36 hours approximately... The difference in clarity before and after was amazing even in the short timeframe and the taste afterward was greatly improved too. I don't think I will do it any other way except for the Hefe I have fermenting now. Kudos!

I'm brewing my first Hefe and this will be the first time I'm not going to transfer to a secondary. Do you not cold crash the Hefe so it keeps that "cloudy" Hefe look?

Gary

German wheat yeasts will not flocculate out well. You could crash to get less of them in the bottles. I don't. Some German breweries filter them out and then add lager yeast for bottling. Lager yeast are not very flocculant either. It's supposed to help shelf stability.

ok, I brewed a batch (extract/specialty grains) of red ale two weeks ago. OG 1.052. I checked a week ago and it was at 1.016. when should I cold crash, at what temp, and for how long? thanks. also it is a five gallon batch and is in the secondary, in case that masters.

This spawned a second question regarding sort of the same thing with finings. So, once cold crashed, do people use gelatin? Can it work while being cold crashed? Or would you guys recommend just adding it to the keg when transfering, cold crashing the keg for a few days before hitting it with gas and then pouring out the first pint or so with all the gelatin goop?

This spawned a second question regarding sort of the same thing with finings. So, once cold crashed, do people use gelatin? Can it work while being cold crashed? Or would you guys recommend just adding it to the keg when transfering, cold crashing the keg for a few days before hitting it with gas and then pouring out the first pint or so with all the gelatin goop?

I never use gelatin or other finings (mostly because I don't need them, but also to keep my beer vegetarian friendly) but it's a good idea to use gelatin in cold beer. It works great with cold crashing.

Many folks will fine in a secondary a day or so before packaging. If I do use gelatin, I use it when I keg. Because the gelatin is greatly diluted when it is added, it doesn't form a gel (if done properly). It stays dissolved where it grabs a hold of yeast and proteins in the beer, and slowly grows like a rolling snowball. Eventually it gets big enough and will settle out. The colder it is, the faster it works. I don't know that I would add gelatin to a beer at 32F. In this case it is more likely to form a gel, which then can't do the job you want it to do. I'm sure if one were careful though, it could be added to a very cold beer.

The goop at the bottom will be mostly yeast.

I'm cold crashing my primary right now and usually just transfer to a keg. I guess I should add the gelatin to the keg and rack on top of it? Anyone have the proper amounts of gelatin to use that has worked for them kegging? This is my first time CC, so I'm hoping to improve the clarity.

One can brew crystal clear beer without cold crashing anything. It's called Irish moss, 1 tsp. rehydrated, added last 15 minutes of the boil. It's dirt cheap and works every time.

I used Whirlfloc tablets...I also have Irish Moss. Decided to give the Whirlfloc a try this time. I have clearer beer, but it's not as crystal clear as I would like. I also have the ability and the room in my keezer to cold crash, decided, what the hell? May as well try if I'm going to wait a few weeks anyway? What can it hurt.....

Does cold crashing have negative effect on the yeast's ability to bottle condition, after it has warmed back to the proper temperature.

ok, thanks. I think I'm going to give it a try on the red ale that is in my secondary at this time.

cold crashing as of this morning, temp is 35.5 plan on leaving there until friday, them move allow to settle again, and bottle on saturday.

just packaged my first batch of beer. red ale, hydrometer shows 5.5 abv., color and clarity were good. now to try and wait to pop a top.

Back