dunkelweizen very tart!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaynsawchuk

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. Seven weeks ago my brew buddy and I put together a 5g batch of this:

4lb wheat malt
2lb pilsner malt
2lb munich 10
10oz chocolate malt

1 oz hallertau @ 60
.5oz strisselspalt @ 60

Wyeast bavarian wheat blend 3056

After 7 days in the primary it had a distinctly sour flavor, we wrote it off to the yeast needing to condition and racked to secondary. Two weeks of secondary later and it had mellowed quite a bit, but still had a lemony zip to it. We bottled anyway. Four weeks later and its fully carbed but is full on sour. I believe there were too many IBU's for lacto to grow, and we had no signs of infection. Anyone have similar experience with this yeast or can think of another reason why its so tart?

Sour tart. I imagine its a flavor thown by the yeast and bottle fermenting brought it back out after it had mellowed. I read somewhere that underhopping can also create sourness but that wouldn't come amd go, right?

Not sure on that one. Got to be the yeast or hops......the strisselspalt is one that I am not familar with. I looked it up and no lemon there......so :confused:

How about some more details like fermentation temp and mash temp/procedures. What is your sanitation regimen too? Infection with lacto and real warm fermentation temp are possible culprits, for example.

Step mashed with a 20 minue protein rest at 122F, 60 minute saccharification rest at 152F and 10 minute mash out at 170F. Sparged with 170F degree water as well. Rested in the kettle wrapped in HVAC insulation and a sleeping bag. We sanitize everything using star san or a commercial dishwasher. (We are lucky enough to be employed by a restaurant that doesn't mind us brewing there on days off.) Fermented in a chest freezer with the controller set to the low 60's but no thermowell. No sanitization issues this far over 13 AG batches.

Back