Dunkelweizen Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearturkey

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I made my first Dunkel and have tried a few of them and it didn’t come out like I thought it should. Every one that I have had was more of a chocolate brown ale flavor with that Hefeweizen taste in the background. This one had barely any chocolate flavor and was a hint of fruity.

What are some idea I could do different with this recipe to make it more of that chocolate flavor? I know I could increase the chocolate but I’m always hesitant to raise the chocolate malt. I literally made this recipe from scratch so I’m open for any input you want to give.

2.5 gallon batch
BIAB
OG: 1.053 FG: didn’t write down but it was around 1.012
2.6lb White Wheat
1.6lb 2 Row
0.2lb Caraaroma
0.13lb Crystal 60
0.1lb Chocolate 350*

0.015oz Magnum 60min
0.3oz Tettnang 60min

Used half a packet of WLP300

Ca: 85 Mg: 17 Na: 25 Cl: 110 SO4: 112

I think you can raise the chocolate malt. 1.6oz isn't much, even in a 2.5gal batch. I think I use 6oz in a 5gal Red. You can double yours safely.

You can go with dark wheat or even cara wheat as well. I am unsure of chocolate malt with regards to actual sweet chocolate flavor. Dunkleweizens seem to have more of a caramel flavor for me which balances out well with the banana.

Back