American Porter Top Of The Order Porter (Chocolate/Hazelnut/Vanilla Porter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite
Yeast Starter
Always!
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.069 (approx.)
Final Gravity
1.020 (approx.)
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
37 (approx.)
Color
30 (approx.)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @ 64 F Raise to 68 F for the rest of fermentation to ensure complete attenuation
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Smooth and full bodied with a nice hazelnut and vanilla flavor. The chocolate isn't very distinguishable but it compliments the beer nicely. Dessert in a glass!
This was the first dark beer I ever brewed that I actually liked. I didn't just like this though. I LOVED IT!!! It is without a doubt the best dark beer I have ever brewed and quite possibly the best beer I've made period. It is smooth with a nice hazelnut and vanilla flavor. The chocolate isn't very distinguishable but it compliments the beer nicely. This is a great after dinner beer. Dessert in a glass!

Grain Bill:
Based on 83% Efficiency

9.75 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 68.72 %
1 lb 5 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.25 %
14 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt (80 SRM) Grain 6.17 %
8 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.52 %
8 oz Rice hulls (0 SRM) Adjunct 3.52 %
6 oz Blackprinz Malt (500 SRM) Grain 2.64 %
6 oz Brown Malt (65 SRM) Grain 2.64 %
6 oz Chocolate Malt (350 SRM) 2.64 %
2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt (120 SRM) 0.88 %
Hop Schedule:
Note: I use a hop basket so I based this recipe off of 90% hop utilization. You may want to adjust based on your utilization.

2.00 oz Earst Kent Goldings [6.1%] (60 min) Hops 29.5 IBU
0.5 oz Fuggle [5.0%] (30 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.5 oz Fuggle [5.0%] (15 min) Hops 3 IBU
0.25 oz East Kent Goldings [6.1%] (0 min) Hops
0.25 oz Fuggle [5.0%] (0 min) Hops
Yeast:
1 Pkgs Denny’s Favorite 50 Ale (Wyeast Labs #1450)
Miscellaneous:
1 Whrifloc Tablet (15 min)
1 tsp Gelatin Finings (Secondary)
Hazelnut extract (Bottling)
Cacao Nibs Tincture (Bottling)
Pure Vanilla Extract (Bottling)
Note: I recommend adding the flavors at packaging to taste. I wanted the hazelnut and cacao nibs to be the main focus with just a touch of vanilla flavor for support. Add the dominant flavors first until it's where you want it and then add the supporting flavors.
Water:
100% RO Water
Target water profile:
Ca: 50
Mg: 5
Na: 47
SO4: 60
Cl: 62
HCO3: 80
Mash Schedule:
Mashed with 5.52 gallons of water
Sparged with 3.24 gallons of water
Sacharification Rest @156 F for 60 minutes
Mash Out @168 F for 10 minutes

The only thing I may do differently is Mash a little lower so it attenuates a little more. Aside from that though, I wouldn't change a thing. Enjoy!

Porter.jpg

This sounds delicious. You have a rough estimate of how much extract/tinctures you used and what brand? Thanks!

This sounds delicious. You have a rough estimate of how much extract/tinctures you used and what brand? Thanks!

If memory serves, I used 3/4 of this bottle of hazelnut extract. https://www.morebeer.com/products/hazelnut-flavoring-25-ml.html and 15 ml of pure vanilla extract from the grocery store. I believe the brand was spice islands. Just make sure you use pure extract or the final product will suffer. As for the chocolate flavor, I just soaked some cacao nibs in vodka for a while and then added the vodka to the beer. Unfortunately, I can't remember the quantities. Although, I do think I used more than any of the other additions. I added all of it when I packaged the beer.

Last edited:
Back