Dunkelweizen krausen still on top after 2.5 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
Usually the krausen has total been absorbed back in the beer by this time for me. Just checking to see if this is normal.

Also any ideas why it attenuated so low. FG should have been 1.015 but came out to be 1.009. Mash temp was 154 give or take a degree for 60 minutes. Used white labs American hefe yeast. Fermented at around 68 degrees F.

image-3316554043.jpg

It's normal. I agree it usually falls before 2.5 weeks. It has fallen largely though (look at krausen ring on your bucket). If gravities are stable, cold crashing will drop the rest of it. Or just rack around it.

In terms of the FG, maybe your thermometer is off for mash temps. Are you using a hydrometer or refractimeter? Refractometers aren't always reliable when etoh is present. What was your OG?

OG - 1.054

Yeast - white labs American hefe yeast (1L starter)

Pitched at 72 degrees F

I used an refractometer for of OG and hydrometer for FG.

Maybe my thermometer was off. I will have to recall rate it for the next batch.

Yup, verify mash temp. Hefe yeast are true top cropped and can take a bit to drop, if it's done, crash it for a day or two and then packagebit

Also seems more common with wheat beers for the krausen not to fully fall. Not sure why, maybe proteins in the beer from the wheat? But that has been my experience.

I read on another post that a to fine of crushed grain could cause a beer with less body. Has anyone else run into this?

I read on another post that a to fine of crushed grain could cause a beer with less body. Has anyone else run into this?

Not really, the body and mouthfeel would be more related to mash temp and attenuation of the beer.

Checked thermometer with ice bath and it was off by +2 degrees. So that may have been the issue.

Latest posts

Back