Dunkelweizen Bottle Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfi309

Reaction score
We bottled our first Dunkelweizen last week and I just checked it today and there is a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. It this normal for this type of beer? I would estimate it at least 3x the normal amount I am used to for other styles of beers. We brewed this beer for competition so I wanted to check before we send it out in a couple of weeks.

How long did you primary, what yeast did you use, how well did you rack the beer? Assuming you used a variety of weizen yeast they are extremely slow to fully flocculate and very rarely ever will drop all yeast out of suspension unless you cold crash the beer for several days.

Weizen beer is supposed to be somewhat cloudy and most people will actually rouse the yeast back into suspension when pouring as is typical to style.

Nothing to worry about but a few things mentioned first to consider if you brew it again.

Used WYEAST #3068. We had beer in primary 3 weeks before racking. Pulled a little yeast over during racking. Pulled half the batch into plastic bottles(Check carb level) and 16 oz bottles before pulling 12 oz bottles. Beer entering 12 oz bottles appeared clear(A lot clearer than the first bottles pulled). I know this yeast does not flocculate well but I was surprised by the amount in the bottom of the bottle. It does look fluffy but I was concerned of what shipping would "Stir Up" and if it would have time to resettle. I know it is supposed to have some yeast in it but that looked like a lot, could be an optical illusion due to the fluffiness of the yeast.

It does look fluffy but I was concerned of what shipping would "Stir Up" and if it would have time to resettle.

Weizen beer is supposed to be somewhat cloudy and most people will actually rouse the yeast back into suspension when pouring as is typical to style.
;)

Latest posts

Back