Dumping yeast from conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japhroaig

Reaction score
How often should I do it? I have two inductor conicals that work like a champ, but how often should I dump the yeast and trub? Once a week? A little bit every few days? Right before I keg? Any advice based on experience would be great.

Brew house
IMG_1087.JPG

Close up of the fermenter, with obvious trub/yeast
IMG_1088.JPG

Let me rephrase--are there any milestones during the fermentation and aging process that benefit from dumping sediment than other milestones. A milestone could be hitting your target FG, a date, kegging day, etc.

I usually let my conical sit for about a day after brew day then dump the trub just once. After that if I am looking to harvest I pull a plug or two when I am between 80 and 90% attenuated. BTW those are nice looking cakes in the bottom of those conicals.

Precisely the sorta answer I was hoping for. So get rid of hotbreak/coldbreak/detritus after a few days, then harvest yeast?

You got it, just make sure that if you are looking to harvest to wait until you are at least 2/3 of the way through fermentation so you have nice healthy yeast waiting at the bottom. This is my process for ales BTW, for lagers I wait until I am ready to keg then harvest the yeast I want.

Ah, nice advice on the lagers. I will likely try my hand at a lager this year since I came into a nice freezer + Johnson Controller. Never actually cared for lagers until I went to Prague and Brno in the Czech republic--that really opened my eyes for what an excellent lager can be.

Budvar was a little disappointing, but Urquell from the tap was a transcendental experience. The stuff from the tap vs. the stuff from the bottle are like two completely different beers--and I had them both side by side, so I'm not making this up :D

I have a V-Vessell and I don't dump anything until I'm ready to keg. Mine does have a collection vessell on the bottom though so most of the sediment is contained. I keep my beer in the fermenter for one to two weeks and never had any problems.

Yeast harvesting is great from conicals BTW.

The only prob I've had so far really is I placed the racking valve too high on one, and too low on another. Live and learn I guess.

I usually wait a couple of hours to let everything settle then dump the trub and pitch the yeast. After ferm and d-rest is complete I dump the yeast, wash it to seperate it from trub then acid wash it to kill the bugs then make a starter.

Back