dumped lager yeast in my ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjimbeer

Reaction score
I dumped saflager 34/70 in an rasberrywheatale by accident, I didnt realize it for about 18 hrs( package looked very simular to their wheat yeast).So it has been fermenting at slightly under room temp until now.I put it in my freezer at 50, what is going to be the side effects and what is my rasberry wheat going to taste like? I dont add rasberrys until the secondary , Should I lager it with the fruit in it? or just let it age at room temp after fermentation is complete. The most important question is, is my beer going to taste decent? Any opinions are appreciated:confused:

A steam beer is a style that uses lager yeasts and ale temps, so I wouldn't worry about it. I think it'll be pretty cool to see what happens with this!

I will update when complete, I think I will finish this as a lager and hopefully the rasberrys wont go rancid in the secondary.Spose I could always take the rasberrys out after a month and put it in a new carboy.I will keep you informed as i go since there is interest.

well, it will likely finish drier than you would prefer for a wheat. The fermentation byproducts that are produced when lagers ferment too warmly will be gobbled up by the yeasties as they ferment the rest of the beer.

Well it turned out great, possibly my best beer to date although unfortunately I can't reproduce it due to its odd origins. I suspect it didn't ferment to much before hitting my fridge.

Back