Duel keg one spunding valve.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
I plan on doing 10G batches but I am a cheapo. I decided to make my own two keg spunding valve. I am open for any input.

Attachments

• 20210313_220400.jpg
    20210313_220400.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
My only recommendation would be to get two duotight check valves to make sure that the gas from each keg is only going towards the spunding valve and not each other. Will also help should something weird happen and beer starts drawing up one of the lines (assuming it is different brews in each keg).

My only recommendation would be to get two duotight check valves to make sure that the gas from each keg is only going towards the spunding valve and not each other. Will also help should something weird happen and beer starts drawing up one of the lines (assuming it is different brews in each keg).

Ah that's brilliant. I was wondering how I would keep it balanced more or less but I have a few i could use.

Teeing two kegs fermenting the same beer into a single spunding valve should establish "balance" eventually.
Not seeing a point in forcing the issue with extra hardware...

Cheers!

Teeing two kegs fermenting the same beer into a single spunding valve should establish "balance" eventually.
Not seeing a point in forcing the issue with extra hardware...

Cheers!
Agreed that’s why I clarified that is really only an issue of concern if you are doing different brews in each keg. If two of the same brew there is not much to gain by adding check valves. Though now that I think about it in case of infection in one keg it would help prevent it spreading to the other...

The idea is to always have the same. Beer fermenting at the same time. I know myself. I "plan" things then run on madness.

I have a similar tee setup-works great. I ferment two 4-gallon batches every brew day. No check valves. Liquid can't climb out of the keg because the fittings are on the gas side, not liquid fitting

Sigh. I had a situation last night. My spunding valve was hooked up to my new pin lock kegs. The pins were all jacked up and the lids leaked. I will be sending and email to the vendor. But the beer climbed in the lines etc.

I feel like everything goes wrong for me the first time. But I always learn what not to do quickly.

Check valves are a must for me. Also the kegs wanted to transfer wort back and forth.

did you fill them to the top with 5 gallons of wort? I only put 4 gallons in a keg to leave some headspace

yeahhhhhhh soo.... i messed up put one keg on a the out post and ended up with 5 gallons of beer on the basement floor. should have had the one way valves put on...

one keg started to ferment before the other. sent all the pressure to the other keg and pushed 5 gallons out the dip tube.... I mixed the gas and out line again.. its 100% my fault i have spent the past few days trying to clean the cold storage room and avoid mold.

as soon as i noticed what happened i walked straight upstairs and went back to sleep.

I think that if the spunding valve is on the gas post and the keg overfills then the beer gets forced out of the spunding valve.
The answer is to not let the liquid reach the gas post.
You can clean the spunding valve out quite easily

To safely work gas and gas connected with the spunding valve in the middle of this on a T or a 2 into 1 duotight connector.

Non return shouldn't be needed provided krausen not escaping if it is then you need a large pet bottle on the end of the 2 gas lines with a kegland T piece to catch the blow off and then the spunding valve on the other post of the T thingy.

@Jako

Maybe you got the idea from here

no i thought it up one night i didn't want to buy the parts for two so i thought to my self well a T and bam you have a spunding valve for two kegs.

i just failed even after thinking and making sure i didn't mess it up. let me see if i can find a picture.

The mess below is in the cold storage. It ended up in every box I had set on the floor while I moved everything around.. it's not always that messy.

Attachments

• 20210526_153525.jpg
    20210526_153525.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210317_064614.jpg
    20210317_064614.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210317_064619.jpg
    20210317_064619.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
Why not jumper each fermenting keg (gas connector) to a serving keg (liquid connector), and then put the spund on those (gas connector)? You'll purge your serving kegs of O2 and have some wiggle room if there's an overflow issue.

Fermcap can also help with foamy overflow.

Also, is that red/orange EvaBarrier? Where did you find that?

Why not jumper each fermenting keg (gas connector) to a serving keg (liquid connector), and then put the spund on those (gas connector)? You'll purge your serving kegs of O2 and have some wiggle room if there's an overflow issue.

Fermcap can also help with foamy overflow.

This was my second attempt. I will be looking to give this a try next time. Good idea certainly better than any over flow becoming waste.

Good thought on the fermcap I have never used it.

It's actually not evabarrier. It's actually this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCQFK5...abc_VXHJ4RC2DF974YMZ74SB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I made an interesting similar splunding screw-up last brew that cold crashed my fermenter on day 3...
I daisy chained 3 kegs from the fermenter to purge O2 by pushing starsan through each in turn. Last keg I similarly splunded from the out like the previous kegs and pushed 5G starsan overnight through the splunding valve & into a deep tray under my fermzilla (splunding valve was still cable tied on top). My STC 1000 cable tied to its legs had slipped, was submerged and shorted the 12V cooling relay which crashed the NEIPA to 4°C...
Fortunately I know my brewing 'doh moment' track-record well enough not to use the 240V AC version! I'd prefer my brewing to kill me over a 60 year period rather than all at once.

I made an interesting similar splunding screw-up last brew that cold crashed my fermenter on day 3...
I daisy chained 3 kegs from the fermenter to purge O2 by pushing starsan through each in turn. Last keg I similarly splunded from the out like the previous kegs and pushed 5G starsan overnight through the splunding valve & into a deep tray under my fermzilla (splunding valve was still cable tied on top). My STC 1000 cable tied to its legs had slipped, was submerged and shorted the 12V cooling relay which crashed the NEIPA to 4°C...
Fortunately I know my brewing 'doh moment' track-record well enough not to use the 240V AC version! I'd prefer my brewing to kill me over a 60 year period rather than all at once.

Dang! that's crazy. you have to know your own limits haha. getting electrocuted by 240V beer would be one hell of a way to go.

Back