Drying Whole hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZBrewHaus

Reaction score
Hey, I’ve never used whole hops before and a friend gave me a large plastic bag full of cascade whole hops that were still on the vine. I just started picking them off and noticed the leaves were brown and wilted.

Is it worth picking all the hops or does this mean the hops have spoiled already? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!
IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

Are the leaves dry because you're that late in picking the hops, or did they get a disease of some kind? All mine got a disease last year and the hops never fully matured. If they just dried on the vine you might be OK.

8C780C6A-82CE-4DA6-8738-DA521B3C1E0C.jpeg
Those don’t look particularly bad. Ideally they should feel paper like and of course smell good when you check. Too soon they are kind of grassy too late you get oniony cheesy aromas.

They look fine. They look a little naturally pre-dried for you.

A little browning just means it's time to pick. A little more and it is almost too late but still good. Those look like they were cut at the right time for the majority of the cones. The ones you picked look good.

Thanks everyone! I think there was still moisture in the leaves when they were picked and when placed in the plastic bag they didn’t have enough space to breathe. The hops themselves seem pretty good, didn’t know if the leaves could cause off flavor in the hops.

Rub them firmly in your hands, until the yellow glands burst and release their oils. Rub them firmly in your hands, and tell the yellow glands burst and release their oils. Smell them deeply, if the smells are good you should be good. If you were very concerned, make a small wort tea, boil them, then see how they taste.

Rub them firmly in your hands, until the yellow glands burst and release their oils. Rub them firmly in your hands, and tell the yellow glands burst and release their oils. Smell them deeply, if the smells are good you should be good. If you were very concerned, make a small wort tea, boil them, then see how they taste.

The small wort tea is genius! Thank you!!

A few days ago I was given a bag of “bittering hops”. They came from one of my daughter’s co-workers whose husband had grown them. She didn’t know any more details.

I have 2 pounds. The hops were in a plastic bag when I got them and were quite wet. I put them in a mesh bag and hung them up in the cold storage room in my basement (currently about 60°F). They look like the picture Hoppy posted. Anything else I should be doing?

My plan is to brew a small batch SMaSH and see what results.

Back