Drying out high-FG Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
Well, I transferred my barleywine into secondary today after the FG settled. Unfortunately it has settled at 1.048. I was hoping to get it down closer to 1.035. FYI the OG was 1.126. I was thinking about making a starter, decanting it and pitching it along with some sugar. Would this be an effective way to dry it out a bit? Any other methods you folks recommend? It would certainly be drinkable the way it is, but I'm striving for perfection here! I think one reason it didn't come down enough is that I lost a good bit of yeast when my fermenter exploded a day into primary throwing yeast all over my bathroom. Anyway, any help is much appreciated!

I think a starter is a good idea. You don't say what yeast you used, but is it one that tolerates a lot of alcohol? If not, consider using an alcohol resistant strain in your starter. You might also consider a wine yeast.

adding sugar is not the way to dry out a beer. sugar is substituted for base malt in the recipe design phase in order to have a dryer beer.
you should probably make a starter of some highly attenuative alcohol tolerant yeast like hercher suggested.

Mead and champagne yeast are pritty tolerant. I use them in big meads (1.100+) and I get realy good results.

Thanks guys, I used 1762 and made a big starter but it apparently wasn't enough. If I used a wine yeast, I could just pitch it right into the wort and it would be ok?

Make a basic amber, cream ale, etc using the same yeast as your barleywine and then rack the barleywine onto the cake.

Thanks guys, I used 1762 and made a big starter but it apparently wasn't enough. If I used a wine yeast, I could just pitch it right into the wort and it would be ok?

I would think with the alcohol being that high you really would want a starter. I would be hesitant about dumping a starter into basically a finished beer though. I would probably make a big starter...cold crash it then decant and pitch the yeast into the barleywine.....HOWEVER pitching an active starter might give you better results. Either way I would think a starter is best.

Make a basic amber, cream ale, etc using the same yeast as your barleywine and then rack the barleywine onto the cake.

If the yeast strain he used is crapped out due to the alcohol% how would this help? ( not arguing, asking for my own education)

I don't know the science, but Evan! posted this method, I tried it on a stuck Imperial porter and it worked like a champ.

I don't know the science, but Evan! posted this method, I tried it on a stuck Imperial porter and it worked like a champ.
no idea either but if I am reading the chart right he is at the edge of the yeast tolerance for the yeast he used already. So wouldn't he be better off pitching a wine yeast that can get to where he wants this to be?

hmm, I like the idea of racking onto another yeast cake. If I did this, how important is it that it's the same yeast strain? I ask because I have a belgian Dubbel fermenting with WLP500 right now. In a week or two I could rack onto that yeast and I would think it could work very well.

hmm, I like the idea of racking onto another yeast cake. If I did this, how important is it that it's the same yeast strain? I ask because I have a belgian Dubbel fermenting with WLP500 right now. In a week or two I could rack onto that yeast and I would think it could work very well.

its not crucial its the same and that should work fine.

OHIOSTEVE said:
no idea either but if I am reading the chart right he is at the edge of the yeast tolerance for the yeast he used already. So wouldn't he be better off pitching a wine yeast that can get to where he wants this to be?

not sure where you got it from, but he's not past the tolerance of 1762 yet, hes only around 10%. also, wine yeast is a poor choice. its been cultured for simple sugars and struggles with things like maltose so it likely wouldnt do much. champagne/wine yeasts are mostly only useful in beer for ensuring carbonation in high grav brews.

Back