Dry yeast pitch......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJhands

Reaction score
Hi again,

I'll be brewing my 1st batch in a few days. It's a light American-style beer kit from homebrewers.com (boring, I know!!). Anyway, the dry yeast package says to boil some water, put the yeast in the water once it's warm, and let them rehydrate before adding to the primary. But! The instructions from homebrewers.com say NOT to do that - they say to simply dump the dry yeast in the primary, put the lid on, and aerate. What's best? Thanks! :)

Hydrating is a good idea. Just don't hydrate in water that is too hot - boiling water would kill the yeast. Making a starter is an even better idea, because it lets you know that the yeast is active before you pitch it, and it gets them multiplying faster, speeding up your fermentation. To make a starter, boil up some water, malt extract (or sugar), and yeast nutrient if you can get it. Cool it down to 75 or 80 deg., pour it into a sanitized vessel (preferably one that can be sealed with an airlock) and pitch your yeast. Then you just wait till it starts to bubble and show activity, then you are ready to pitch it into your beer. Good luck on your first batch!

Thanks, D-brew.

I should have gone the liquid yeast route, I know. But just for this time, I'll use the dry and do a starter like you suggested. If I had gotten the liquid yeast, would a starter still be advised? I'm guessing so.

BTW, I used to live (briefly) just north of you in ID Falls. Love that state.....so beautiful. :rolleyes:

Just got to thinking.....could a sanitized milk jug be used for the starter vessel? Just drill a small hole in the top and stick the airlock bubbler in the hole? How long before pitching would I want to do my starter? A few hours? A day?..........

How much malt extract do I want to use? How much water?

All these questions! Sorry you replied to my post yet?? :p

D's method sounds good, but what ive done in the past, is exactly what the package says, boil up 4-6 oz of water, let it cool to about 85 deg. sprinkle the yeast on the top and let it sit for 15 mins, then stir gently. then pitch it in the wert. Ive only brewed a couple batches, but its always worked.. ;)

TJhands said:
Just got to thinking.....could a sanitized milk jug be used for the starter vessel? Just drill a small hole in the top and stick the airlock bubbler in the hole? How long before pitching would I want to do my starter? A few hours? A day?..........

How much malt extract do I want to use? How much water?

All these questions! Sorry you replied to my post yet?? :p

I used a sanitized plastic gallon milk jug with a stopper and airlock. The night before brew day I boiled half a gallon of water and 1 cup extract for about five minutes, cooled it down then funneled into the plastic jug, then pitched the yeast. This worked really well for me, but I think next time I'll up it to a cup and a half of extract to the half gallon of water.

The amount of extract in the starter isn't crucial. I probably put about a cup in a half gallon. I just eyeball it until it looks amber. It will really help you achieve quicker ferments and cleaner, better beer. You should also make a starter for liquid yeast, which IMO will improve your beer vastly over using dry yeast.

Cheers! :D

Back