Dry yeast manufacturers… could you please up the 11g packet size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So have we made any progress arriving at some kind of consensus re the OP's valid, in my view, point about bigger standard homebrew packs of dry yeast, for a standard 5 gallon batch? I like to pitch at a high rate to control the yeast profile, which, for me, produces a better balanced beer. And if I'm using dry yeast these days it's because I'm brewing a lager, which requires at least two packs. A pack for half a standard batch seems to be a bit of a con.

Given that we are all idiots, I would say that neither have we reached consensus, nor should we necessarily aim to do so.

Surely it's not because we're idiots :) Rather it's because smart guys in yeast-producing labs thoroughly calculated how much a dry yeast sachet should contain. Probably, by hiring market analytics for good money. I don't think the 10g standard has been chosen just arbitrarily.

bingo...I believe this is the only thing that matters with pitch rate...you want the desirable yeast to dominate...dominate early...

At the risk of beating a dead horse, pitch rates also affect ester and fusel levels. So outcompeting bugs can't be the only reason pich rate matters, unless ester and fusel levels don't matter.

If I make a 1.060 pale ale, 5 gallons worth, I want to buy a yeast pack that's able to be pitched and walk away from. It can be up to a month old. And has the cells they have determined are needed to do the job. Dry or liquid.

If I make a smaller batch I can divvy the pack up if needed. If I make an Imperial I will pitch 2 packs or make a starter. But I'd like the average beer, if there is such a thing, to need 1 pack and that be that.

If we're talking dry yeast, I can't say if that's more or less than 11 grams. We, and probably the manufacturers, might never agree on it.

Many products, probably yeast too, have intersecting sales slopes based on numer of units sold vs packaging size for example. The point of intersection tells you about where your profitability is highest and what the best packaging size is. There are a lot of other costs than just the material in the pack as well.

So the sweet spot where the slopes meet is where you are making money. Make something bigger or smaller it may not be as profitable, as it will affect sales volume. A slightly bigger pack, desired by home brewers, could drop the sales volume of the product in half for example as people order less, negatively affecting profitability. Make a smaller pack, people go elsewhere for more value in a bigger pack. Quite a balancing act.

Temp does way more than yeast pitch rate which does nothing for esters ... But pitch rate does keep bacteria from taking as quick a hold. I made starters for years and only pitched liquid. But last 2 of 4 beers have been dry Nottingham and have worked great. Yes, liquid and starter kicks beer off in 4 to 6 hours that you can obviously observe, and dry without starter (obviously shouldn't) takes 12 to 20.

Temp does way more than yeast pitch rate which does nothing for esters ...

Temperature is one factor affecting ester production. Oxygen, Wort Gravity, and Pitch Rate are others. There are more. That pitch rate affects esters is commonly accepted brewing science. If you're going to keep saying that pitch rate doesn't affect esters, please provide proof, because the burden is on you.

And now for something completely different.
Maybe make a 5 or 6g. package in the popular flavors along with the 11g presently offered.
Reasoning; 1) It would suit small batch brewers better. 2) It would also be a multiplier in pitch rates, better than say, a 22g package.
Yes I know, packaging cost would probably negate any perceived or actual savings.
Just wanting too keep the pot stirred.;)
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

And now for something completely different.
Maybe make a 5 or 6g. package in the popular flavors along with the 11g presently offered.
Reasoning; 1) It would suit small batch brewers better. 2) It would also be a multiplier in pitch rates, better than say, a 22g package.
Yes I know, packaging cost would probably negate any perceived or actual savings.
Just wanting too keep the pot stirred.;)
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

now you went and did it!!! i am so going to order this now!! 🤣

https://labelpeelers.com/liquor-mak...1w-8e02PEWycyL3d4IBcZkUw05WpYC-xoC8F0QAvD_BwE

18 cents a 11g packet! Who's your DADY! :mug: if it floccs good i'm sold! :mug:

edit: at that price, i'll probably make health smoothies with it too!

Enough for 5000 gallons . the safale S33 is only half price of a std pack. Not really worth that much savings unless you brew every week.roughly 40, 5 gallon batches worth....

Back