Dry yeast for Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haved used Nottingham with good results in an ESB. Have not heard much good about Muntons. I am looking for a dry yeast for an Old Ale with an OG of 1.090. I realize I need to pitch more than one pack. I have only used US-05 and Notty for dry yeasts.

Old Ale like in Old English Ale?

I'd hit it with 2 packs of rehydrated S-04. Pitch/start at 63-64*F and then slowly raise it to 68*F after the first 4-5 days.

I've shied away from Muntons as I've not heard good things about it and I'm happy with S-04, Notty and US-05. Currently trying BRY-97 on a summer pale.

I'm happy with S-04, Notty and US-05. Currently trying BRY-97 on a summer pale.

I like S-04 used it in a nut brown ale and it worked well, I just did a Pale Ale with BRY-97 came out good in the end but the yeast is a slow starter almost pitch some Nottingham after almost two days

but looked in and saw bubbles starting so I waited, the yeast really let the hops shine

all the best

S_M

Old Ale like in Old English Ale?

I'd hit it with 2 packs of rehydrated S-04. Pitch/start at 63-64*F and then slowly raise it to 68*F after the first 4-5 days.

I've shied away from Muntons as I've not heard good things about it and I'm happy with S-04, Notty and US-05. Currently trying BRY-97 on a summer pale.

Yes an Old English Strong Ale. What would you say the character differences between S-04 and BRY-97 or are they the same strain?

You may want to look into the Mangrove Jack series of dry yeast, as they have a nice selection of UK yeasts. I am told their Burton Ale yeast does well in higher gravity beers.

Also, S-04 and BRY-97 are completely different. The latter is virtually the same as the American Ale II (wy1272/wlp051). If you do end up using Notty or S-04, be sure to keep your fermentation temps low... like below 65F for the first 72 hours.

Back