Dry US-05 slow start in cold wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mucci2k

Reaction score
I pitched dry US-05 into 60 degree wort and it hasn't taken off in 24 hours. Are the yeast still sleeping? Should I heat up the bucket to kick start it? I stirred it to make sure the yeast didn't all sink to the bottom.

I'd probably wait, until you have the capacity to bump it up to 62-64 without overshooting. The worst would be to get antsy, get the temp too high and have off-flavors than just waiting it out.

I assume this was a fresh packet of yeast, not something funky like recycled and or old/stressed yeast? Normal OG wort, etc,?

6 months old shouldn't be a factor however, pitched dry and 60° doesn't surprise me that it's getting off to a slow start.

I've found my beers take off much quicker when I rehydrate the yeast. I think you'll be fine, just have a bit longer lag time.

I did send thing with my us05 after 2 1/2 days I warmed. To 70 degrees and took off. Turned out delicious

have you aerated properly?

Stirring isn't enough, you need to give it a very, veerrrry, good shake.

Back