Dry or Liquid yeast for yeast starter for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
Will be making a IPA with a OG of around 1.070....

Ill be following these instructions for a yeast starter...

Ive seen differing opinions on using a DRY vs Liquid yeast for the starter....

Are NB's instructions good ?

Your thoughts ? Thanks in advance..........

Looks good, except I chill the wort in the pan/pot, before pourng into the flask, it cools faster.

Also, I usually step up the starters and harvest a pint for future brews.

Starters are for Liquid and harvested yeast.
Dry yeast from the pack, is rehydrated prior to pitching.

Pretty good instructions for liquid yeast. The only thing I would add is that if you have a medium or large starter (> 1.5 L) you should let it mostly ferment out and put it in the fridge for 2 days. Then the yeast will settle to the bottom and you can discard the starter beer on top. Leave a little in the flask and swirl the yeast into suspension. Pitch that into your batch (no need to let it warm up either, cold to warmer always works best!).

With dry yeast, just hydrate in warm water per packet instructions. If you are pitching into a 1.070 IPA, I'd consider pitching 2 packets. If you make a starter for dry yeast you are eliminating 2 of the best features of dry: simplicity and the fact that they are dried when they are in peak, fermentation ready condition.

Back