Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLamb

Reaction score
So this is my first attempt at a double IPA and I was wondering how necessary it is to dry hop in a secondary opposed to just dry hopping in the primary after a couple weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Seems more people like the idea of dry hopping in the primary because it lowers the chances of infection and introducing more oxygen to the beer, and because it is less work and very simple.

If you are using glass I would say just add to the primary.

However, I always go to a secondary because I feel it helps my beer clear better and I can allow beers to age before dry hopping if need be.

It is really up to you.

So dry hopping in a primary will have no affects on the profile of the IPA

And going to a secondary is pretty much to clear the beer and allow it to age.

So dry hopping in a primary will have no affects on the profile of the IPA

And going to a secondary is pretty much to clear the beer and allow it to age.

Yes, dry hopping in primary will have no affects on the profile of the beer.

Secondary seems to be more of a personal thing these days. We could debate the benefits (or not) of secondary for .... ever. Some say it provides no benefit, and only adds potential for risk of O2 and contamination. I secondary 95% of my beers for various reasons and believe it is a benefit overall for all my beers.

Your beer will clear and turn out fine whether you secondary or not. Do some research and decide for yourself if it is a step you want to take.

I always dry hop in primary with great results.

Also, I have recently been doing two dry hop additions with great results. I first heard about this doing a Pliny the Elder clone, but I like to do the first 2/3rds of the dry hops for 5-6 days and then add the 2nd 1/3rd of the dry hops for a few days more.

That's an interesting idea. Have you noticed much of a difference with flavor/aroma?

We did an identical IPA twice. The first time we racked to secondary and dry hopped. The second time we dry hopped in the primary and skipped the secondary. I honestly think the primary only IPA tasted better. The hop aroma and hop taste was better. I will say however the beer we racked to the secondary was slightly clearer.

From now on we are going to skip the secondary. I'd much rather have better tasting beer than have a beer that's marginally clearer.

Plus racking to secondary is kind of a hassle anyway. If we are doing a big beer like an Imperial Stout that's different but otherwise no more secondary for me.

What about a double IPA? That is what I'm dry hopping

That's an interesting idea. Have you noticed much of a difference with flavor/aroma?

Yeah I do think the double dry hopping does make a slight difference in both, although I haven't done a proper experiment with a test and control batch.

But I figure if Russian river is doing it there must be something to it...

I always dry hop in primary with great results.

Also, I have recently been doing two dry hop additions with great results. I first heard about this doing a Pliny the Elder clone, but I like to do the first 2/3rds of the dry hops for 5-6 days and then add the 2nd 1/3rd of the dry hops for a few days more.

What do you mean ou do the first 2/3rds then add the last 1/3rd for a few days? How fr into fermentation are you dry hopping? And is it ok to leave the dry hops on until you rack to bottles or keg?

If the OG is pretty high say 1.07 or above I'd consider the secondary since your total conditioning time is longer. But I wouldn't even think about moving it from the primary for 3 weeks. However I'm sure lots of other brewers out there would tell you just to leave it in the primary for the whole time. As you know, lots of arguments out there for both ways.

The big thing is don't overthink it and look too much into it. Just keep it simple and do the method you are comfortable with.

Like the post above, the last 2 beers I dry hopped were high gravity beers. I racked into secondary and let it sit for a little over a month and mellow a tad. Then dry hopped for 4 days and bottled.

If these were just regular IPAs I would've just dry hopped in the primary.

YES; if it is a BIG beer, don't dry hop right away; when i make big beers I keep in primary for a month and then only dry-hop at the very end for a week in primary

I've got a wheat/rye pale lager I'm drinking now and dry-hopped at end of secondary ferm; it turned out well despite dry-hopping/lagering; not too much was lost in aroma

Ive done both primary and secondary. They both work. My favorite method is to use 2 charges. So half your hops for 3-4 days and the other half for another 3-4.

Latest posts

Back