Dry hopping with Simcoe and Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlueders

Reaction score
I am participating in a wort transformation and we are getting the wort this weekend. The recipe is:
Vienna Malt 90.3%
Cara-Munich 60L 6%
Crystal 120L 2.5%
Roasted Barley 1.2%
Simcoe hops at 13% alpha 0.5 oz per 5 gallons

I am planning to dry hop 5 gallons with Simcoe and Amarillo to give a nice hop aroma and flavor without being overpowering. I was thinking 2 oz of Simcoe and 1 oz of Amarillo or maybe the other way around. Or, would just an ounce of each be enough? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I love both hops and use them together in my Simply Simarello that is a favorite. I rarely dry hop with less than 3 oz and see nothing wrong with 2 oz of each. But, I'm not very sure what type of beer was made so it's hard for me to give my opinion on this one.

Thanks. They say it is a Red Ale. I was planning to make it more of an American Red and use S-04 for yeast rather than make it an Irish Red.

I agree with at least 3-4 oz for dry hop. Less just doesn't seem to do much.... IMO, increase the boil hops and bump up some grain for more malt flavor per Red Ale guidelines.....

Plus 1 on 2 oz of each . Lengthwise does a triple hopped red ale that is smokin. I bet it will turn out good . Love red ales .

Back