Dry hopping timing vs clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProphet

Reaction score
I made my first batch on the 6th and popped it into the fermentor. I have an Anvil Crucible, so on the 12th I tried dumping trub and hopefully yeast. Got very cloudy beer instead. Dry hopped it according to recipe yesterday.

So my question is - since I've read that leaving the dry hop going longer than 5 days will yield grassy flavor, if it is still cloudy on the 17th, should I still bottle?

If not, do I leave the dry hop in and wait for some clarity?

How much of a dry hop is it? Do you have the ability to cold crash before bottling? If not, maybe it wont be clear when you bottle but may drop clear with time in the bottle. Probably when pouring the bottles pour slowly to leave the sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Don't worry, it will be beer!

I've dry hopped for 2 weeks without the grassy flavor. Getting a grassy flavor may depend on the mineral makeup of your water, the variety of the hop, the beer temp while dry hopping, or a combination. Can you leave your hops in for a week? Who knows?

Imo it is a good idea to wait till the beer is almost clear till dry hopping. This way, the yeast does not take down hop aroma and flavour when dropping and it's possible to dry hop short which is better, based on my experience. Two days is enough.

Last edited:
I agree, I typically dry hop late, a few days before packaging... that said in the op's case the dry hops are already in, so if it were me I would plan to bottle by 7 days post dry hop at the most.. if possible place the fermenter in a cooler area, basement or something, for a couple days prior to bottling.

I agree, I typically dry hop late, a few days before packaging... that said in the op's case the dry hops are already in, so if it were me I would plan to bottle by 7 days post dry hop at the most.. if possible place the fermenter in a cooler area, basement or something, for a couple days prior to bottling.
Good idea, would do probably the same.

Back