Dry Hopping time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyBrews

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my 3rd query and I'm still not done with my first extract brew!!

I'm brewing a Young's American Pale Ale and the instructions say to add the hop pellets 2-3 days before bottling.

I added them 2 days ago, after my brew was in primary for just over 2 weeks.

There is still a large layer of hop crud on the top and people seem to think dry hopping should be done 1-2 weeks before bottling.

Should I:

1. Leave the whole thing alone for another week or so
2. Siphon into my secondary and leave for a week
3. Bottle tonight

Any help appreciated!

Don't move the beer from the dry hops - sounds like you dry hopped in primary - yes? If so, let the beer sit there for 4-7 more days and then bottle. Most dry hop for 5-10 days. I am a 5-7 day guy myself. Good luck with the APA.

Yes eadavis80 I dry hopped in primary, would it have been better to have moved to secondary before dry hopping?

I will leave for another 5 days then, just confusing when the instructions state 2-3 days, but I know instructions are a kind of umbrella guide for a variety of kits.

Thanks for the advice [emoji481]

You can dry hop in secondary, but it isn't necessary if you don't want to. Many of us dry hop in primary after the beer is tested as being done fermenting, & settled out clear or slightly misty. anything still settling out allows the hop oils to coat them & go to the bottom as well.5 to 10 days dry hopping is the norm. Too long, and it can turn grassy.

Thanks unionrdr, I'm glad I checked with the experts instead of bottling 2 days after adding the hop pellets and ruining my so far successful brew! Monday night is bottling night then [emoji106] Should I still expect the layer of hop crud at the top after 5 days?

The "Hop Crud" Isnt going anywhere.It doesn't dissipate or disappear. Sometimes it floats sometimes it stays submerged either way just leave it alone. Skip the secondary altogether.The directions may call for it but its outdated info and not needed.Basically do nothing at this point but wait a few more days and rack to bottles or keg.Also if you use a hop bag you can pull the bag and reuse the yeast for your next batch..FREE YEAST!! 5 gallon paint strainer bags sold at Home depot/lowes ETC work great for a bag.(to late for this batch but next time)

Cheers Jobnyrotten, I may have misused the term 'secondary', what in actually doing is siphoning it into another fermentation vessel so I can stir in the priming sugar without mixing up all the yeast which has settled at the bottom of the vessel it's in now, if stir in my priming sugar into the original fermentation vessel surely this will mean loads of sediment in the bottles?? Good advice about reusing yeast - will try that next time, thanks!

Okay, so you fermented in primary and dry hopped in primary. You will then, when you bottle, rack the beer into the sanitized bottling bucket with a sanitized siphon. When you do this, sanitize a paint strainer bag and a twist tie or rubber band to put onto your auto siphon. That will help keep out the majority of your hop residue from entering your bottling bucket. Sometimes even with the paint strainer bag, the siphon will get clogged, but you will transfer a lot less hop residue with the paint strainer bag attached to the siphon than just using the siphon alone. I bottle this way any time I dry hop or use fruit in a beer. Good luck :)

Nice one, am going to do this tomorrow night after work so I'll get a paint strainer bag tomor. Thanks for the advice [emoji106]

I'm still a bit of a novice, but I read a study where it says you are going to get the bulk of your aroma in 3-4 days. After the fourth day, you aren't going to get much more out of the hops.

I'll see if I can dig up the article.

This isn't the original article I read, but it is still interesting. He dry hopped one for 11 days and the other for 2 days.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/26/dry-hop-length-long-vs-short-exbeeriment-results/

A total of 19 people participated in this xBmt including multiple BJCP judges, experienced homebrewers, and craft beer cognoscenti. Each person was blindly served 2 samples of the long dry hop beer and 1 sample of the short dry hop beer in different colored cups then instructed to select the one they perceived as being unique. To achieve statistical significance given the sample size, 10 participants (p<0.05) would have had to accurately identify the short dry hop beer as being different. In this case, a statistically significant 12 tasters (p=0.003) were capable of making the correct selection, nearly all of whom reported feeling confident in their decision based solely on aroma. These results suggest the length at which a beer is dry hopped does seem to make a difference, that folks can reliably distinguish a beer dry hopped longer from one that sat on dry hops for a shorter time period.

Following the triangle test, those who correctly selected the short dry hop beer as being different proceeded to a brief evaluation comparing only the 2 different beers, still blind to the variable being tested. In terms of aroma, 5 of the 12 reported preferring the short dry hop sample, 6 perceived the samples as having no difference, and only 1 preferred the long dry hop beer. Flavor preference was a different story with 7 preferring the short dry hop beer, 4 saying they liked the long dry hop beer better, and only 1 endorsing no difference. Mouthfeel preferences were more evenly distributed, 5 saying like the short dry hop beer better, 4 preferring the long dry hop beer, and 3 noting no difference.

Overall preference, surprisingly, was split almost down the middle with 5 endorsing the short dry hop beer while 4 preferred the long dry hop beer. The last 3 reported having no particular preference for either beer, despite noticing differences between them.

My Impressions: For the first time in awhile, I was able to distinguish between these beers on a fairly consistent basis, both side-by-side and in quasi-blind triangles served to me by others. Aromatically, I perceived the short dry hop beer as possessing more dank, resinous character that was layered with citrus and tropical fruit notes, while the long dry hop beer came across as having little dank character at all. In terms of flavor, the long dry hop beer was certainly hop-forward, which to me was reminiscent of a clean juice blend, with a pleasant maltiness in the finish. The short dry hop beer had the same juice-like flavor combined with a pungent kick of resinous, danky deliciousness. While I thought both beers were fantastic, I&#8217;ll definitely be sticking to shorter dry hop lengths due to my preference for punch-you-in-the-teeth hop character as well as shorter turnaround times.

| DISCUSSION |

I find the results of this xBmt encouraging. The data supports the notion that dry hop length does indeed have an impact on beer, but there is no indication one way is better than the other, neither method produced a bad beer. I found it interesting only one person noted perceiving a &#8220;grassiness&#8221; in the long dry hop sample, a comment that came following completion of the survey and revelation of the nature of the xBmt. I couldn&#8217;t detect this in the slightest. I&#8217;m not all comfortable recommending people use my subjective impressions to make decisions, partially because I could have a ****ty palate, but it&#8217;s also highly likely dry hop character as a function of time is different for every hop, thus results from the hop bill I used may not translate to other beers. I guess what I&#8217;m saying is, try it out for yourself, determine your own preference, and don&#8217;t fret if you end up changing things up at some point.

Lastly, these results really make me want to revisit a technique a prior xBmt suggested may not have all that significant of an impact&#8211; double dry hopping. When I initially tested it, the separation between the first and second dry hop additions was only 2 days, now I&#8217;m curious if perhaps a longer span between the additions might not produce a more distinguishable result. Best of both worlds? I guess we&#8217;ll have to wait and see.

I'm still a bit of a novice, but I read a study where it says you are going to get the bulk of your aroma in 3-4 days. After the fourth day, you aren't going to get much more out of the hops.

I'll see if I can dig up the article.

I dryhop for 3-5 days generally, unless time gets away from me and it ends up being more like 7.

My experience is that I get a really nice hops "punch" by dryhopping at room temperature for 3-5 days and then immediately packaging the beer.

I dryhop for 3-5 days generally, unless time gets away from me and it ends up being more like 7.

My experience is that I get a really nice hops "punch" by dryhopping at room temperature for 3-5 days and then immediately packaging the beer.

:mug:

I dropped my hops in this past Tuesday night and am bottling tomorrow. This will be my my first time dry hopping under a week.

That sounds good - I dry hopped mine for 5 days and then bottled it on Monday night. Fingers crossed...

Back