Dry hopping temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

@RoyalGallon

Reaction score
What do people think of the idea that the temperature you dry hop at can impart different flavour characteristics to the beer?

Generally my standard dry hop regime is to finish fermentation then cool the beer from around 20C/68F down to 14C/57F and add hops. Leave for 3 days and then crash cool to 4C/39F

Would dry hopping at 20C/68F or 4C/57F give a different flavour?

Do different hops work better at one temperature over another?

If there is a difference? Would a Triple hopped beer hopped at 3 different temps be a thing?

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The temp will have impact on the time to extract compounds from the hop and the actual compounds. I seen an article a few months back that cooler is better for getting the best aromatics. Close to 68 is suppose to speed up the transfer.
When I have put hops in cold keg I get more grassy flavors. I dry hop at 68 in a bag for 4 days without cold crashing. I tried 2 days at 68 and about the same aroma but it lacked flavor.

Dgallo

If you ain’t first, you’re last Ricky Bobby
Reaction score
Temp is showing to have a huge difference in dryhop effectiveness/quality.

More and more research/anecdotal evidence is showing that dryhoping around 48-56*f is having the best outcomes. It’s cool enough to keep ale yeast inactive but still at a temp where extraction of almost all the compounds are achievable. Beers dryhopped cooler will have cleaner, less assertive bitterness(hop burn), and better variety specific profiles than beer fermented in the mid to upper 60s

OP
@RoyalGallon

@RoyalGallon

Reaction score
The temp will have impact on the time to extract compounds from the hop and the actual compounds. I seen an article a few months back that cooler is better for getting the best aromatics. Close to 68 is suppose to speed up the transfer.
When I have put hops in cold keg I get more grassy flavors. I dry hop at 68 in a bag for 4 days without cold crashing. I tried 2 days at 68 and about the same aroma but it lacked flavor.
I had read about the grassy notes from cold dry hopping before. That’s what made me think about temperature affecting the flavours.

I think an experiment is in order.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I do know from past experience that tossing fresh hops into a keg to give a boost that is does not take but a few hours to start noticing the difference.

My earlier comment regarding grassiness normally came after the hops stewed in there a while. It also does/did seem some hops work better cold than other in adding grassiness.