Dry hopping temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Perry

Barnyard Brewer
Reaction score
I have scoured the internet and the forums. I'm trying to figure out, what is the best dry hopping temps? In my current situation, I have a hazy NEIPA going, and I'm trying to make sure I extract all of the best citrus notes, flavors, and aromas that I can. 1 site says cold crashing temps around 38-39, and multiple sites said ale fermenting temps 60+ or around 70. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Pitching them in on the cooler side helps stop hop creep. I like dry hopping a 5 days before packaging. 2 days in the 50's then crash for 3 .

Pitching them in on the cooler side helps stop hop creep. I like dry hopping a 5 days before packaging. 2 days in the 50's then crash for 3 .
Awesome, thanks! After everything I've now been reading, it looks like it's not just about temp, but a combination of temp and time.

Scott Janish in The New IPA suggests they dry hop NEIPA near 58.

Attachments

• 5098216F-098F-435E-AF52-9303C8B57602.jpeg
    5098216F-098F-435E-AF52-9303C8B57602.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 741DFAF0-405E-4D93-9B86-08EF95FE727F.jpeg
    741DFAF0-405E-4D93-9B86-08EF95FE727F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 5B3220C5-BFD5-46D0-AD5F-A19E170E2FAB.jpeg
    5B3220C5-BFD5-46D0-AD5F-A19E170E2FAB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Visist the northeast ipa thread. Lots of info there. I dry hop at 55f to 58f but I also rouse the hops in my conical. So it will vary on equipment and and yeast and numerous other things.

@Stephen Perry : If you did not want to spend a few weeks reading through all the pages (which is actually worth doing) you could jump in at this post which is just a few pages back from the latest posts: New England IPA - "Northeast" style IPA

In the couple pages after that there are a number of people that chimed in to a later questions about dry hopping schedules.

Scott Janish in The New IPA suggests they dry hop NEIPA near 58.

He also suggests dry/keg hopping cold at around 40f could be great too (maybe even ideal). With extraction in as little as 3 days. Do this while carbonating.

I throw my hops into those SS mesh containers (in the keg). Good for about 6oz per keg with extra room for when the hops expand. Amazing. Leave them in for over 5 weeks with no grassy flavors as far as I can tell. 2 weeks is usually perfect for me.

I've read that full extraction from dry hopping could be achieved in 24 hours at 65-68 F. This might require some agitation to speed up extraction though. The colder the dry hop, the more time is needed. I don't think any more than 3 days at any temperature would be needed. I'd just dry hop at the temperature that's most convenient for you.

Back