Dry hopping/brewing with cannibis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale402

Reaction score
What's up guys serious question here. Considering that marijuana is legal now in MA I have decided to begin cultivating it for my own and it had me thinking, I'll have so much of it I can do this this and that with it. I love citrusy fruity refreshing iPa's and would love to try to make a brew with cannibis. I'm talking boil dry hopping and all the works. My thing is that I only smoke once in a while and edibles scare the hell out of me after a few bad experiences. But I soley want to make a brew without any psychoactive effects just extract the flavors. Is that possible? Iv made tinctures and oils before I know how that works but would exposing the buds to the boil extract the THC? and after primary fermentation is complete would the alcohol in the beer begin to extract the THC from the buds in the secondary? I know you need a high percentage spirit for that but how will a 5-8% beer work with all of that? Leg me know thanks guys!

Interesting. I believe thc has to bind with fats when it is heated in order to work in an edible/drink so I think you'll be safe in wanting to avoid the effects of it. I'm more unsure of how this would actually taste and what amount it would taste good or be drinkable.

Interesting. I believe thc has to bind with fats when it is heated in order to work in an edible/drink so I think you'll be safe in wanting to avoid the effects of it. I'm more unsure of how this would actually taste and what amount it would taste good or be drinkable.

Using fat to bind is true but using high percentage alcohol like grain alcohol also works very well. I want to assume the alcohol content in beer isn't high enough. Maybe I have to go on a cannabis forum as well to find this answer. As for the flavor profile I'm sure it would definitely be interesting alongside the hops adding in different notes and aromas.

You need to decarb the cannabis first, regardless of the next steps. I do not remember the exact temps and time for that. Once decarbed, I would make a tincture with a high proof neutral spirit and then dose the bottles during packaging.

Good luck.

You need to decarb the cannabis first, regardless of the next steps. I do not remember the exact temps and time for that. Once decarbed, I would make a tincture with a high proof neutral spirit and then dose the bottles during packaging.

Good luck.

Dont want to be rude but you didn't read the thread at all lmao.

Please be mindful of our rule on this subject:

We allow discussion in regards to using Marijuana / Cannabis as a brewing agent on the forum.

What does this mean? You can discuss it in regards to brewing, but any open discussion of the recreational use of Marijuana outside of brewing will be removed. Please do not post pictures of your grow setup, or anything outside of the art of brewing, nor can you discuss the growing, or techniques of growing.

Marijuana is still illegal in some states, so we ask that those discussing it be limited to the laws of their individual states. As I do not know all of them it will be to you the member to decide your state's legal application of marijuana laws.

We will not allow the making of tinctures, etc, to be discussed on this forum. We will allow discussion of using it in brewing, and that's it.

I believe thc has to bind with fats when it is heated in order to work in an edible/drink so I think you'll be safe in wanting to avoid the effects of it.

That's how I understand it too. Also, FWIW, I live near Portland, OR, and we have a brewery here called Coalition that makes a "Two Flowers IPA". The two flowers of course being hops and cannabis. They simply use a CBD strain. If the plant doesn't have THC to begin with, you can't get THC in your beer.

I'm in the same boat as you. Pot's legal here, but I can't stand the stuff. My wife smokes it, and more power to her, but I love my beer. THC makes me feel stupid and paranoid. However, I just LOVE the smell of the stuff (before it's smoked). I'm telling you, the Two Flowers IPA tastes like you hope it does. My buddy brews for Coalition, but I haven't asked him for a recipe.

If you want to go down this road, go to a dispensary and buy some CBD flower, or if you want to save a lot of money, buy a CBD plant and grow your own.

Dry hop with with 1 eighth ounce of crushed bud or a half ounce of trimmings for about 5 days. It's a good place to start, and then u can add more if u want. Put it in a hop sock of some kind.

That's how I understand it too. Also, FWIW, I live near Portland, OR, and we have a brewery here called Coalition that makes a "Two Flowers IPA". The two flowers of course being hops and cannabis. They simply use a CBD strain. If the plant doesn't have THC to begin with, you can't get THC in your beer.

I'm in the same boat as you. Pot's legal here, but I can't stand the stuff. My wife smokes it, and more power to her, but I love my beer. THC makes me feel stupid and paranoid. However, I just LOVE the smell of the stuff (before it's smoked). I'm telling you, the Two Flowers IPA tastes like you hope it does. My buddy brews for Coalition, but I haven't asked him for a recipe.

If you want to go down this road, go to a dispensary and buy some CBD flower, or if you want to save a lot of money, buy a CBD plant and grow your own.

This is basically what I would have advised. If there's no THC to begin with then there's no concern with it being extracted during the boil or when dry hopping.

I lived in a grow house back when I was college in the mountains of NorCal and I've made tea, chocolates, pastries, oils, smoothies, infused moonshine, you name it... It goes well with some stuff (like deep fried tofu in pasta sauce) but we could never get rid of the pungent taste no matter what we did. So unless you really dig the taste of it then I'd just stick with hops as they work much better with beer. I think even if you were to strip all the active ingredients it wouldn't have the same smell and taste. I'd either use it straight up or not waste your beer or time. Even now when I get some edibles from the dispensary it still smells and tastes like pot.
but by all means if you figure out a way to do what you're shooting for please share! Good luck.

That's actually not a bad idea I didn't even think of looking into CBD strains for brewing. Thanks bro!

What are thoughts with using cbd gummies and adding them to the boil you can get the cbd effects and a little sugar boost

What are thoughts with using cbd gummies and adding them to the boil you can get the cbd effects and a little sugar boost

If your place has gummies then they're probably going to have honey, use honey instead. Or anything that is more easily liquefied or dissolved without any added ingredients.

If your place has gummies then they're probably going to have honey, use honey instead. Or anything that is more easily liquefied or dissolved without any added ingredients.
The only issue is the price of cbd honey the gummies are a lot cheaper. Now if Imatch the gummy flavor matches the flavor profile I want from the beer it might be a quick way for a cbd brew

The only issue is the price of cbd honey the gummies are a lot cheaper. Now if Imatch the gummy flavor matches the flavor profile I want from the beer it might be a quick way for a cbd brew

...maybe, but remember that whatever was made when making those gummies is now going to be in your brew (for better or worse). Use honey or a tincture. You can relatively easily make both at home (Google how if you don't know).

Back