Dry hopping after carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxkale

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've begun naturally carbonating my kegs, because I only have a 2 tap system, but typically have a couple of additional kegs in waiting/aging. I found out that I have a couple of ounces of EKG laying around and decided I might as well use them for dry hopping my an ESB I have in the keg.

My question is will it hurt anything to dry hop AFTER I've let the ESB naturally carbonate?

I know it seems a little backwards, but I figured the aroma will add nicely, since it was hopped with EKGs to begin with. I may just do it anyway as an experiment, but I figured I would check with the oracles of the forum to make sure it would not be massively detrimental to the beer first. :mug:

You might get a little foaming when you drop in the hops in a bag, due to nucleation points, but just stick the lid back on the keg and it should be fine.

You'll need to pull the pressure relief valve, take off the lid, drop in the hops bag, and cover it back up, then give it a shot of c02 and purge it a couple of times to purge out any oxygen that made it in there during the process.

I've seen several threads where people add dry hops directly to the keg. I don't see any issues, just be carefull when you toss then in of foam overs if a lot of co2 tries to escape when the hops hot the beer.

I plan to do this just as I keg and put under co2. But I've added gelatin after carb with no ill effects.

I've done it a lot of times. Usually I'm adding new dry hops to a long held keg that is in need of freshening up a bit. Same method as Yooper describes.

Is it a good idea to bring the keg back up to room temp (60-65 deg)when adding another dry hop edition? Does dry hopping at 40 degrees kill any chance of getting significant aroma? Will bringing the keg to room temp for 2-3 days in order to get more aroma cause any ill effects?

Back