Dry Hopping a Witbier with Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderEh

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend the amount to use in a Wit? I used Wyeast 3944 and a wheat bear recipe. I plan on splitting this batch 2 weeks into fermentation, and doing half with apricot, and half with some orange/coriander soaked in Vodka. I'm not sure I should add the Centennial to the apricot?

Yeah 23L batch split into two 11.5 carboys for the flavouring of apricot/orange coriander.

Old thread - but came up in my search for Centennial dry hopping an IPA. I through an ounce in my 5 gallon IPA. I havent yet tried dry hopping. For that matter, my first IPA too. The hops went in last night. Today, I couldn't resist taking another gravity reading (Taste) - even though Fermentation is essentially stopped, and test for any change.

Well, the beer has a very citrusy flavour and aroma not inconsistent with several IPA's I have tasted. Perhaps a little sweeter, but still in the primary, so carbonation should eliminate the sweetness. Pretty excited to get this bottle in a week. I read 5 days is plenty. Might crash for a day, then bottle.

It's all i can do no to drink the bloody stuff out the primary.

Hops seem to work fast.

Last edited:
Well, the beer has a very citrusy flavour and aroma not inconsistent with several IPA's I have tasted. Perhaps a little sweeter, but still in the primary, so carbonation should eliminate the sweetness. Pretty excited to get this bottle in a week. I read 5 days is plenty. Might crash for a day, then bottle.

Please be a little more patient. Do take at least 2 hydrometer readings a day or two apart to verify that fermentation really is complete. Bottle bombs are a real possibility bottling too soon and they are no fun at all.

Please be a little more patient. Do take at least 2 hydrometer readings a day or two apart to verify that fermentation really is complete. Bottle bombs are a real possibility bottling too soon and they are no fun at all.
I hear you but its pretty much done at around 1012 for several days. Might have scratched up to 1011 today. Even gave it a little push to 66 degrees to finish it ff, but it wouldn't budge. Anything I read in gravity now is part eyeballling error, part wishful thinking.

OK, you are fine to bottle it......but....beer still takes time and that time can be in the fermenter or in the bottle/keg. That time lets yeast settle out, flavors meld, and heading compounds develop. I don't like a lot of sediment in my bottles so I let more of it settle out in the fermenter. That time in the fermenter also lets flavors meld. Once bottled it takes time before your beer will develop a head. Notice I didn't say carbonation, I said develop a head. Just for fun, I opened a bottle that I had just filled and capped the day before. Decent amount of carbonation, no head on it at all.

OK, you are fine to bottle it......but....beer still takes time and that time can be in the fermenter or in the bottle/keg. That time lets yeast settle out, flavors meld, and heading compounds develop. I don't like a lot of sediment in my bottles so I let more of it settle out in the fermenter. That time in the fermenter also lets flavors meld. Once bottled it takes time before your beer will develop a head. Notice I didn't say carbonation, I said develop a head. Just for fun, I opened a bottle that I had just filled and capped the day before. Decent amount of carbonation, no head on it at all.
I am kinda constrained by my dry hop, whihc I only want to do foe about 4-5 days, then I will crash, and have to bottle . Also, reading on here that many prefer to Ferment and bottle an IPA as quick as they can to get at those "Fresh" hoppy aromas which dissipate over time in a bottle or primary. Well, that is what I read.

In any event, my beer taste decent in the primary, so a few more days of dry hop, a couple days of crash, and 2-4 weeks in a bottle, should make it ....well...... invincible. In fact, if its any good, I think I will name it Invincible IPA (IIPA)....;)

Try one bottle at one week. If you are happy with the taste and heading, keep drinking it. Otherwise, wait a week and try another one. Typically 3 week in the bottle gets the best heading but with your IPA, loss of flavor/aroma is something to be concerned about. Mine lose that aroma in 2 to 3 months.

Try one bottle at one week. If you are happy with the taste and heading, keep drinking it. Otherwise, wait a week and try another one. Typically 3 week in the bottle gets the best heading but with your IPA, loss of flavor/aroma is something to be concerned about. Mine lose that aroma in 2 to 3 months.
Pretty sure mine will not share that fate. ;)

Back