Dry hopping a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a beer like Firestone's Pivo Pils, which is a dry hopped lager. I'm wondering how/when they dry hop it? I am planning on lagering the beer for a long time (1 week per degree Plato, which in this case is 3 months) so if I dry hop during the diacityl rest, the hops will drop off a lot by the time the beer's ready. I'm wondering, then, if after the lagering period, I should let the beer come up to room temp, dry hop for a few days, then drop it back down before racking to a new keg to carbonate? How does one dry hop a lager?

I would save the dry hops until the end. You could dry hop for a longer period at the end of lagering or even add the dry hops to the keg shortly before serving. I have "keg hopped" with many other beers and you just can't beat the freshness of aroma and flavor. Be sure the mesh of whatever you use is very fine so that you don't end up with a bunch of hop debris coming through your lines.

So you guys are saying to dry hop at lager temps? Is that very effective?

Back