Dry Hopped Too Early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uvmnick

Reaction score
I totally misread the instructions, and instead of dry hopping for 3 days, I dry hopped at 3 days. At the time I found it very weird that I would be dry hopping so early into fermentation.

Nonetheless, I'm assuming it is fine just looking for some re assurance from those who have a little more know-how.

It's been 9 days since I pitched the yeast and 5 days since I threw in the dry hops. Checked it quickly this morning and I basically have green sludge on top, assuming this is the hops. Also noticed that it is much hazier than prior to adding the dry hops.

Should I rack to a secondary or just let it be for another week?

Well, you can just leave it as is and skip the secondary all together - just go straight to the bottling bucket or keg.

As for the hops, fermentation activity probably pushed a lot of the hop aromatics right out the air lock. Can you get your hands on another ounce of hops? It'd probably be good to do a second dry hop.

Oh, and it's totally normal for the dry hops to sit on the surface as a green sludge. I sometimes very very gently rock the fermenter - not enough to splash, but enough to just rouse some of the hop particles into sinking.

I agree with JonM. You don't have to secondary at all. That is where most people using secondary would add the dry hops. The active fermentation will have driven off some of the aroma so if possible get some more of the same hops and do a second hop.

The green sludge on top could be just hops or it could be krausen, made green by the hops, that has not fallen yet. I bag my hops so I don't get this.

I would do the second dry hop for 3-7 days, then either cold crash then bottle. Or, if the beer is clear, go ahead and bottle it.

I dry hop all my IPAs after 3 or 4 days to reduce oxidation from the pellets. I still get strong flavors and aroma.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm just gonna let it be and go straight to bottling when ready.

If the krausen has dropped and all you see on top is a flat layer of green sludge then you're probably ready to bottle.

I'm sure the beer will be fine, aroma and all. If you're disappointed with the aroma then moving the dry hops out a few days is something you can try if/when you repeat the recipe or one that is similar.

Back