Dry Hoping Comercial Cilyndroconical Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borrife

Reaction score
Hello guys,

What's the procedure to make DH with comercial fermenters?

I have bought one of this (100L) and I am in doubt if I make the cold crash after secondary, to settle the yeast at the bottom and after raise again the temperature to DH.

Need this or I can do it with all the yeast at the end of secondary (25º)?

Pretty sure there are different ways to skin a cat here. Some people will pull the yeast trub and then dry hop. If you have a conical, this is the way I would recommend. I ferment in Sanke kegs, and actually dry hop near the end of primary fermentation, so the yeast can eat up oxygen from the hop addition. It might help reduce oxydition.

Pretty sure there are different ways to skin a cat here. Some people will pull the yeast trub and then dry hop. If you have a conical, this is the way I would recommend. I ferment in Sanke kegs, and actually dry hop near the end of primary fermentation, so the yeast can eat up oxygen from the hop addition. It might help reduce oxydition.

But... do the cold crash to take off the yeast, and then raise the temperature again (25 C) can damage the beer?

I wouldn't cold crash until after dry hopping. From what I've read, if you dry hop after cold crashing, the time you dry hop has to be extended. It takes longer to get good aroma at lower temps.

I wouldn't cold crash until after dry hopping. From what I've read, if you dry hop after cold crashing, the time you dry hop has to be extended. It takes longer to get good aroma at lower temps.

When I said to cold crash, it's only to take off the yeast... so raise again the temp, dry hop, and cold crash again.

Is this necessary?

From what I've read many commercial breweries will allow the head pressure to increase in the vessel, assuming it's pressure rated, a few PSI which will increase flocculation then dry hop then cold crash and transfer to beer bright tank for packaging.

Back