Double Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marchio-93

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Sorry for the poor English, I am writing to you from Italy.
I have an APA in fermentation, I have:
3 g / L of Citra, 1.5 g / L of Idaho 7 and 1.5 g / L of Centennial available.

The idea was to make two DH, the first with half citra and idaho 7 halfway through fermentation, to push on biotransformation, and the second at the end of fermentation.

I don't have the ability to purge the yeast, is that a problem? Can I leave the beer in contact with the hops for a "long time", before making the second DH at the end of fermentation or is it better to transfer it after 2/3 days?

Hello everyone!
Sorry for the poor English, I am writing to you from Italy.
I have an APA in fermentation, I have:
3 g / L of Citra, 1.5 g / L of Idaho 7 and 1.5 g / L of Centennial available.

The idea was to make two DH, the first with half citra and idaho 7 halfway through fermentation, to push on biotransformation, and the second at the end of fermentation.

I don't have the ability to purge the yeast, is that a problem? Can I leave the beer in contact with the hops for a "long time", before making the second DH at the end of fermentation or is it better to transfer it after 2/3 days?
The consensus around here has been hold off on dry hopping until primary fermentation is over. Soft crash yeast out of suspension, and then do 1 large dry hop, avoiding oxygen pick up as much as possible. Package 24-48 hours after. This cuts down on harsh bitterness from the dry hop.

The consensus around here has been hold off on dry hopping until primary fermentation is over. Soft crash yeast out of suspension, and then do 1 large dry hop, avoiding oxygen pick up as much as possible. Package 24-48 hours after. This cuts down on harsh bitterness from the dry hop.
I ask: does doing a fermenting dry hop help strip green compounds like myrcene and Co? And by doing two dry hops, doesn't the extraction yield increase? So I read from Scott Janish

I ask: does doing a fermenting dry hop help strip green compounds like myrcene and Co? And by doing two dry hops, doesn't the extraction yield increase? So I read from Scott Janish
Biotransformation is definitely a thing, but whirlpool hopping has been introduced to extract the oils before fermentation starts, so that biotransformation can happen. There should be plenty of hop oils from the whirlpool.

The idea of crashing the yeast out before dry hopping is so that the yeast doesn't react with the hops and create harsh polyphenols. And also to avoid the yeast pulling down hop goodness into the trub before packaging.

The biggest thing is to avoid oxygen pick up. It spoils the beer quickly. So the less you pop the top the better. Splitting DH does increase extraction, but on the home brew level, I'm sure it's minimal.

The idea of crashing the yeast out before dry hopping is so that the yeast doesn't react with the hops and create harsh polyphenols. And also to avoid the yeast pulling down hop goodness into the trub before packaging.
So the active yeast in fermentation does not biotransform the DH hops but reacts with them creating polyphenols?

So the active yeast in fermentation does not biotransform the DH hops but reacts with them creating polyphenols?
Biotransformation still occurs from the hop oils in the boil/whirlpool. Most brewers don't utilize a biotransformation dry hop on here.

I think there's no real answer. Putting half in during fermentation and half afterwards, as you suggest, is pretty common, and something I've done and liked. A lot of breweries do that. As @wepeeler says, the trend around here is all post-fermentation. I've always had success keg hopping, too, though I've been trying different methods lately.

My worry would be introducing oxygen with the second dry hop. I'ts happened to me once when I opened the lid to DH after fermentation had completely finished. Never again, I always dry hop when there is enough action going on to purge the head space.

I've been putting dry hops in the serving keg before purging with fermentation gas, then closed transferring. Seems to work pretty well,. Avoids both oxygen and clogs during transfer.

I’m DH a NEIPA right now but I don’t have a nice fermentor; all I’m using is the traditional bucket. I’m pretty sure some O2 will be introduced but I don’t have an option; and I’ll post my beer once it’s ready. Eventually I’ll invest in a fermzilla or something nicer but as of now buckets are my only option to ferment and hopefully this DH turns out well 🍻.

Back