Dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnwolfe04

Reaction score
Hey my first brew is a Simcoe pale ale and is currently in the fermenter. The recipe from my LHBS included dry hops and said to dry hop for 2 days after 2 weeks in the primary. Is the dry hopping worth it for the risk of getting an infection?

I'd wait more than two days.

I usually dry hop a week before bottling.

Get a muslin bag, soak in star San. Drop in hops. Drop in bag. BAM!

I'd wait more than two days.

I usually dry hop a week before bottling.

Get a muslin bag, soak in star San. Drop in hops. Drop in bag. BAM!

So it is worth it? Ive always heard that dry hopping doesnt do much and you get most out of the hops when boiling them.

You will get no bitterness out of dry hopping; you will get quite a bit of aroma and flavor. It is less efficient that boiling the hops, but you don't lose the aroma molecules. You will get flavors out of dry hopping that you will not get by boiling your hops; if this is what you're going for, it's worthwhile.

Dry hopping does not require sinking with weights...just put them in....the oils will spread. Just don't constrict them....if in a bag then make sure it's loose. Definitely wait until SG is done changing, and let the dry hops work for 5-7 days. Bottle after. I think extended dry hop time is worse than limited time...grassy notes, etc...

ballsy said:
Dry hopping does not require sinking with weights...just put them in....the oils will spread. Just don't constrict them....if in a bag then make sure it's loose. Definitely wait until SG is done changing, and let the dry hops work for 5-7 days. Bottle after. I think extended dry hop time is worse than limited time...grassy notes, etc...

Yep. I just drop mine on top. A friend put marbles in. I can't tell a difference with methods.

Ballsy is right on about dry hop time. You will read a lot about grassy beer on here with extended dry hop times.

I think the type of hop may effect that tho, not sure tho......

I usually bottle on Saturday and will dry hop the Wednesday before.

You don't have much risk of infection when you dry hop as fermentation is almost complete so not much in the way of sugar for bad things to munch on, plus theres plenty of alcohol to kill nasties anyway.

I like dry hopping for 5 days.

Simcoe pale ale! :mug:

Yeah I'm excited to try it! It's in a bucket now so I can't see it but as far as I can tell so far so good! Yesterday was day 5 of fermentation and the bubble activity stopped so it seems like it's right on track to be good. The Simcoe hops smell so good!

When I switch over to my secondary and dry hop should I put it in the swamp bath I have my primary in? Or leave it out at room temps? (Around 74-76)

When I switch over to my secondary and dry hop should I put it in the swamp bath I have my primary in? Or leave it out at room temps? (Around 74-76)

It's lots easier to leave it in the bucket, and gently add your dryhops to it. It's a real PITA to add dryhops to a carboy, and even more of a pain to get them out.

I dryhop most of my beers, as make a ton of APAs and IPAs, and I just add the dryhops to the fermenter about 5-7 days before packaging.

Okay and you would keep it in a swamp bath the whole time?

You can if you want, but not necessary.

I take mine out of the water tub after bubbling has stopped, day 7 or so, and it remains at room temp thru dry hop and until I decide to crash cool or package.

I just leave it where it is because I'm too lazy to move it. Also, not sure if it was mentioned, but if primary fermentation is over (read: you are at your target FG and it is stable) just pitch the hops into primary. No need for secondary.

I am a big proponent of doing whatever you want. When I hear people say that secondary is a source of infection, I get a little defensive (no bigger risk than primary or a bottling bucket, assuming good sanitation processes). However, since you mentioned infection risk, I will say that I believe adding dry hops is less of an infection risk than secondary as hops are a natural preservative. And to your original question, most definitely worth it!

Back