Dry hop with orange peel? Ever try it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcpcooks

Reaction score
Anyone ever add orange peel post boil? I'd like a touch more in a batch that's finished fermentation.

It seems like it might work but I've never tried it or head of it being done.

I used some at the end of the boil for a Belgian white but want a touch more bitter and orange flavor. Should I try it or just adjust the recipe for the next batch?

I've done it once. With the orange juice and dry hop to boot. It was pretty good, but it was lacking something for me. Anyway:

2oz Zest
10oz OJ from the zested oranges
3 oz cascade DH

I'd try making a tincture with fresh orange zest (peel without pith). Basically peel the outside of washed and scrubbed orange very shallow, then put the peelings into a mason jar with enough vodka to cover the peels. Muddle it if you want. Let that sit for a couple days, then toss in the beer. You may want to test proportions with smaller amounts before you dump it all in (pour several quarter pints and measure milliliters of vodka into to find the level you like). Depending on how you're packaging, you can leave the orange peels in as well.

I did something similar for a Christmas saison (with some cranberries) and the result really made the orange pop in your nose and carried through in the beer (cranberry less so). I doubt it will give you much extra bitterness, but it should give you the extra orange flavor you're looking for.

not orange, but grapefruit and lime. and fresh zest, not dried peel. major flavor contribution after only 24 hours in a crisp lager. darker beers obviously might see less impact, so up the dosage.

the flavors i got were a bit on the sweet side, so i dry hopped on top of them and the hops really balanced them out beautifully.

I did fresh orange zest in secondary on an orange-coriander saison last summer. Turned out nice, but the orange flavor didn't really come to the fore until about 4 months post-bottling.

Back