Dry-hop vegetal flavors: Will they condition out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a basic APA 2-3 weeks ago and up until the dry-hop it tasted really solid. After 4-5 days of dry-hopping there's a definite vegetal flavor and a bit of harsh bitterness that is pretty unpleasant.

- Used 8 oz of Cascade for 15 gallons. Is this way too much? I was planning on using 5-6 oz, but only had 8 oz left so just finished off the bag.
- Leaf hops and it was the same batch I used for the brew day. Should have been pretty fresh on brew day, and they were stored in a ziploc bag in my fridge for the 2-3 weeks before dry-hopping.
- I cold-crashed the fermentor a couple days after adding the dry hops.

I'm not noticing a lot more aroma yet, but more than anything I'm obviously concerned about it being drinkable. Will the vegetal flavors condition out somewhat at cold temperatures?

Thanks!

8 oz sounds kinda heavy for an APA. 5 would probably have been better, your hopping is closer to like a Pliny clone dry hopping.

I would guess the flavors will mellow out. It shouldn't add any harsh bitterness with dry hopping since it adds no IBUs. It's probably ok.

In retrospect it was definitely more than necessary, but I suppose that's how you learn. :)

I'm just surprised that the flavor is so noticeable after only 4-5 days. Seems like a lot of ppl say vegetal/grassy flavors only show up after several weeks.

What happened with this beer? Did the vegetal/grassy flavors eventually subside after conditioning in the keg/bottle? I'm having the exact same issue in my beer (I used only 2oz dry hop) and it tasted amazing before the DH - now it tastes all vegetal...

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would appreciate any additional info as well. My hop beers go from nice bright hop flavors to harsh vegetal mess pretty fast. All my hoppy beers taste the same... Gross.

Latest posts

Back