Dry hop in grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatuna

Reaction score
Is dry hopping in a grain bag recommended? I just did it and now I'm not sure if it was the best thing to do. :confused:

The thought behind it was to keep my beer clean, so I took a grain bag, and soaked it in sanitizer. put my hop pellets into the grain bag with a couple of sterilized marbles so that it would sink. Then jammed that into my carboy.

I thought that I read that was a recommended method, but now I can't find that thread.

Can any of you share your dry hop routine?

thanks!

I don't see a problem with it. I dry hop in the keg with a small paint strainer, which is pretty much the same thing as a grain bag.

I always dry hop with whole hops and no bag, but if I had to use pellets I would definitely bag them.

I always dry hop with whole hops and no bag, but if I had to use pellets I would definitely bag them.

Im a new brewer and have only dry hoped two batches but the first batch I just tossed the whole hops in to the secondary, but when I was siphoning out of my carboy the hops kept plugging the hose. I even rubber banded a grain bag over the end of my hose to keep the hops out of the hose but they still kept blocking the end. It was a pain. What is your trick?

I'm new, too, and have only dry hopped once. I didn't use a bag - just tossed the pellets into the carboy, then about once or twice a day for a week I gently shook the carboy - just enough to wet the hop residue floating on top. That caused most of it to eventually sink to the bottom. Then when I racked to the bottling bucket, I took off the removable tip of the AutoSiphon and placed a large sanitized grain bag over the end of the AS. The grain bag was large enough that it extended up the AutoSiphon past the mouth of the carboy - in fact, it was a little bit of a tight fit so I didn't need to tie the bag to the AutoSiphon, or even to hold it in position. Racked the beer to the bucket with no problems - no sediment in the beer, and it tastes great!

Pellet hops will dissolve out of a grain bag, so don't move it around much. Look into getting some hop bags, the pores are much smaller and will keep in the pellets.

Latest posts

Back