Dry Hop for Too Long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwabizzle

Reaction score
Hey,

After about a week of primary, I dry hopped an IPA I have been working on. I checked in on it the next day, and the airlock had started going crazy again. I chalked it up to some movement when I had to move the carboy to another closet. Anywho, that airlock is still bubbling away a week later(Although not as aggressively), and I'm starting to wonder if I dry hopped too soon. I want to let it do its thing, but I also don't want the hops sitting in there too long (if that is even a thing). Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hydrometer check?
Hops can introduce enzymes that can actually degrade some forms of residual sugars/starches enough for the yeast to grab hold of and ferment...

Cheers!

Hydrometer check?
Hops can introduce enzymes that can actually degrade some forms of residual sugars/starches enough for the yeast to grab hold of and ferment...

Cheers!

I was thinking that was the way to go. Just checking here before busting everything out. [emoji1]

For sure you don't want the hops in the beer for too long. Now we need to define how long is too long. I've left my hops for as long as 2 weeks. Mac and Jack's brewery in Redmond, WA fastens a bag of hops to the inside of the kegs where they stay in the beer until the keg kicks. How long might it take for a keg to be emptied?

I have dry hopped for 7 days in the past.

For the last 20 brews, I limited the dry hop time to 2-3 days. Much, much better results, which result in pungent, in your face hop aroma and flavour. 7 days would still be OK, but for my personal taste and others that have tried my beers, shorter dry hop time, does bring a brighter, crisper level of " hops " in the beer.

Back