Dry Hop Experiment (longer shelf life)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
So on my last few IPA's I have noticed by the time I get to the last 12 bottles or so the hop aroma has almost completely faded. I started thinking that since I am now kegging maybe I can do something to fix this.

If I were to keg dry hop my IPA's instead of in the fermentation vessel, first splitting them into two separate 2.5 gallon kegs instead of the normal 5 gallon kegs and only dry hopping one of the kegs until that keg is almost empty, then dry hopping the other keg, would this result in a product almost just as good as the first keg once I get to the second keg? I understand that late whirlpool additions add to the flavor and aroma and that may fade a little, but I am looking to enhance the aroma mostly which is completely gone by the time I get to the last pints.

I've thought of doing that and can't see why it wouldn't work.

I've also read you can keep your normal process, dry hop in primary, keg in a 5 gal keg, etc.. then as the hoppiness starts to fade, add a dose in the keg to bring it back up.

I've successfully re-hopped kegged beer by adding hop tea. Put 160 degree water in a French press, add hops and let it steep for an hour. Then press and pour into the keg. Voila, new hop aroma and flavor.

Back