Dry Hop Absorbtion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvisinho

Reaction score
Happy Friday everyone!

Quick question. I've been researching whole cone hop absorption and can safely estimate between 4.5-6oz liquid is absorbed per oz of whole cone hops.

I'm trying to document this properly so I don't have to re-research every year when I harvest.

I am going to add approx. 4 oz of cones in the boil so I can loosely equate that to a loss of lets say 20oz.

So I will add that to the pre boil.

BUT my dry hop is going to be around 10 oz total. So that's another addition of 50 oz.

Should I make any grain adjustments for the overall water addition or am I just over thinking this?

Yea, more grain.

But due to volume loss and not efficiency loss.
(technically it is "brewhouse efficiency" loss)

I would just plan on adding volume to your preboil, if you have the capacity.

Happy Friday everyone!

Quick question. I've been researching whole cone hop absorption and can safely estimate between 4.5-6oz liquid is absorbed per oz of whole cone hops.

I'm trying to document this properly so I don't have to re-research every year when I harvest.

I am going to add approx. 4 oz of cones in the boil so I can loosely equate that to a loss of lets say 20oz.

So I will add that to the pre boil.

BUT my dry hop is going to be around 10 oz total. So that's another addition of 50 oz.

Should I make any grain adjustments for the overall water addition or am I just over thinking this?

Latest posts

Back