Dry Belgian Wit yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stand

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Lalbrew Belgian Wit yeast or the one by Mangrove Jack? Or any other dry yeast? I love WLP400 and Wyeast 3944, but if these are the Hoegaarden strain I am trying to keep fewer liquid strains around.

Cheers!

I have a small batch of Belgian Wit that's been fermenting with M21 for the last 16 days. OG was 1.048 but it's been stuck at 1.020 for a week. I just added some US-05 to see if that will drop it down another 7 or 8 points.

The M21 I used took 21 days to finish and I had to do a stepped fermentation to get there. Pitched at 64* and on day 7 it was 1.020 so I went to 70* for 4 days then 72* to finish and was at 1.010 on day 21. All that being said, the beer was my best wit ever and M21 is the only wit yeast I'll use!

The following are all good witbier yeasts, in no particular order:

Lallemand "Munich" ("regular", NOT "Classic")
Mangrove Jack M21
Fermentis T58
Brewferm Blanche

And if you don't mind it finishing very dry at 1.002, you could also try Lallemand Belle Saison, would work nicely in a wit.

The following would also make pretty good substitutes if you couldn't get the ones above, but lack the black pepper character of the others:

Fermentis WB-06
Mangrove Jack M47

Cheers, enjoy.

The following are all good witbier yeasts, in no particular order:

Lallemand "Munich" ("regular", NOT "Classic")
Mangrove Jack M21
Fermentis T58
Brewferm Blanche

And if you don't mind it finishing very dry at 1.002, you could also try Lallemand Belle Saison, would work nicely in a wit.

The following would also make pretty good substitutes if you couldn't get the ones above, but lack the black pepper character of the others:

Fermentis WB-06
Mangrove Jack M47

Cheers, enjoy.

Isn't the new LalBrew Wit the old "Munich" re-branded?

I've used Wyeast 3944 for the last 3 Wits I've made and been very happy, but my LHBS started carrying Mangrove Jack, so I'll pick up some M21 today and give it a go. Thanks for the advice!

I have a wit just about ready to keg that I used the lalbrew dry wit yeast with. I’d normally use 3944 and am hoping it’s at least as good. I really like 3944

Hi there,
I brewed a wit using calamansi purree (6%) which I added at abou 60% attenuation with the Lalbrew Wit. The pH dropped to 3.8 and the fermentation got stuck. I added a second dose of yeast ended with 69% attenuation after 17 days at 22°C.

Any thoughts how to improve on the attenuation next time? I wrote Lallemand and the idea was to gradually add the calamansi as the pH shock might not be a good idea.

Currently I am fermenting a second batch with the same yeast. I added 2.5% calamansi at 40% attenuation and even that has slowed things right down. The plan is to split the batch when I reach 60% and give half of the batch another 2.5% calamansi...

Any idea if other yeasts can cope with the citrus sourness better?

Regards
Phillip

I would think WB-06 should work,as it is a diastaicus that is POF- .
Never tried this one but Fermentis writes that is not meant for wit beers " Produces well-attenuated beers and it is ideal for wheat base beers, such as Belgian and German Styles (Ex. Wit Beers and Weizen Beers). " Any thoughts?

And aparantly german craft breweries have had some issues with diastaicus in the fermenters when not meant to be there infecting other beers.

Sincer we are brewing on a 5hl system of a friend I am worried of causing him issues :)

Try pitching a neutral yeast, like Notty or US-05. That shouldn't alter the flavor and may attenuate the beer more.

Not a bad idea. When would you pitch the notty? When adding the calamansi around 60% attenuation?

No, wait for the Wit yeast to attenuate as far as it can, then add the Notty. The more the Wit yeast is fermenting, the more Wit flavor you get. By the time that yeast bottoms out, the Notty just brings the gravity down some more without changing the flavor much. The Notty is just the "2nd stage" of the fermentation.

No, wait for the Wit yeast to attenuate as far as it can, then add the Notty. The more the Wit yeast is fermenting, the more Wit flavor you get. By the time that yeast bottoms out, the Notty just brings the gravity down some more without changing the flavor much. The Notty is just the "2nd stage" of the fermentation.

Do you know which one will come better with low pH environment? We have 3.8 in the other batch.

I would think that Notty would at least slog through some of the remaining fermentables and drop the FG some.

I have used Notty and US-05 to restart stuck fermentations and they both were helpful. But I can't predict how they would handle a low pH environment.

I have a wit just about ready to keg that I used the lalbrew dry wit yeast with. I’d normally use 3944 and am hoping it’s at least as good. I really like 3944
Did this turn out well? I have a pack ready to pitch this weekend but debating on picking up wlp400 or wyeast 3944 because I can’t find much on lallamend wit dry.
Much appreciated, bobby

Lalbrew Wit yeast is a solid wit yeast. It may be a bit subdued in expressing Belgian phenolics, but it still makes a fine example of the style. And, it is dry yeast with all the benefits of dry yeast, easier to use, less expensive, etcetera.

Lalbrew Wit yeast is a solid wit yeast. It may be a bit subdued in expressing Belgian phenolics, but it still makes a fine example of the style. And, it is dry yeast with all the benefits of dry yeast, easier to use, less expensive, etcetera.
Thanks for the quick reply, I plan on pitching this for this weekend's witbier. Homebrewing is all about experimenting - I'm excited to try something new.

We use Lalbrew wit yeast . Can't say anything bad about it . It turned out good, but I prefer WLP400. That being said, it's cheaper using dry, so I will use Lalbrew again. If I'm brewing at home, I'm going WLP400

I’ve used Safale WB-06. It was the closest dry yeast at my LHBS and it worked out well. Lots of compliments from friends on my wit. In a pinch, it could work too. My wife hates Belgium beers and she is not a fan so I’d say it’s a successful Belgium beer lol

We use Lalbrew wit yeast . Can't say anything bad about it . It turned out good, but I prefer WLP400. That being said, it's cheaper using dry, so I will use Lalbrew again. If I'm brewing at home, I'm going WLP400
I brewed the Witbier (first of this style) and couldn't resist picking wlp400.. I wanted to experience this yeast to have a baseline to compare others to. Of course my lbh had one pack left which expired in January. Made a starter so it should be fine but fingers crossed. If it's a dud I may ending up pitching the Lallamend Wit after all.

I brewed the Witbier (first of this style) and couldn't resist picking wlp400.. I wanted to experience this yeast to have a baseline to compare others to. Of course my lbh had one pack left which expired in January. Made a starter so it should be fine but fingers crossed. If it's a dud I may ending up pitching the Lallamend Wit after all.

Did you oxygenate the wort ? Hopefully your good to go.

Did you oxygenate the wort ? Hopefully your good to go.
Did my usual oxygenation process - paint stirrer with power drill at high speed. About 20 hours with no visable signs. Had it a bit low at 64 for the first half, bumped it to 70 to help it a bit 🤞🏼

Welp, got worried and pitched the Lallamend Wit for peace of mind. Saw a tiny bit of krausen when I opened it so it was at work, just very slow. I'd rather pitch a fresh pack of dry than ruin a long brew day! Happy brewing

Edit: now my airlock is doing jumping jacks. Success

Last edited:
Back