Quantcast

Dry Belgian Wit yeast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Stand

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Lalbrew Belgian Wit yeast or the one by Mangrove Jack? Or any other dry yeast? I love WLP400 and Wyeast 3944, but if these are the Hoegaarden strain I am trying to keep fewer liquid strains around.

Cheers!

ThenFalcon

Reaction score
I have a small batch of Belgian Wit that's been fermenting with M21 for the last 16 days. OG was 1.048 but it's been stuck at 1.020 for a week. I just added some US-05 to see if that will drop it down another 7 or 8 points.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
The M21 I used took 21 days to finish and I had to do a stepped fermentation to get there. Pitched at 64* and on day 7 it was 1.020 so I went to 70* for 4 days then 72* to finish and was at 1.010 on day 21. All that being said, the beer was my best wit ever and M21 is the only wit yeast I'll use!

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The following are all good witbier yeasts, in no particular order:

Lallemand "Munich" ("regular", NOT "Classic")
Mangrove Jack M21
Fermentis T58
Brewferm Blanche

And if you don't mind it finishing very dry at 1.002, you could also try Lallemand Belle Saison, would work nicely in a wit.

The following would also make pretty good substitutes if you couldn't get the ones above, but lack the black pepper character of the others:

Fermentis WB-06
Mangrove Jack M47

Cheers, enjoy.

Franktalk

Reaction score
The following are all good witbier yeasts, in no particular order:

Lallemand "Munich" ("regular", NOT "Classic")
Mangrove Jack M21
Fermentis T58
Brewferm Blanche

And if you don't mind it finishing very dry at 1.002, you could also try Lallemand Belle Saison, would work nicely in a wit.

The following would also make pretty good substitutes if you couldn't get the ones above, but lack the black pepper character of the others:

Fermentis WB-06
Mangrove Jack M47

Cheers, enjoy.
Isn't the new LalBrew Wit the old "Munich" re-branded?

OP
Stand

Stand

Reaction score
I've used Wyeast 3944 for the last 3 Wits I've made and been very happy, but my LHBS started carrying Mangrove Jack, so I'll pick up some M21 today and give it a go. Thanks for the advice!

Twinkeelfool

Reaction score
I have a wit just about ready to keg that I used the lalbrew dry wit yeast with. I’d normally use 3944 and am hoping it’s at least as good. I really like 3944