Dropped my thermometer, broke it in the beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipopiad

Reaction score
I was checking the temp of my wort to see if it was ready to pitch the yeast and I dropped the thermometer. It broke and spilled all of the little black beads on the bottom of the carboy, but it didn't break the fluid part. Question: Is my beer toast? Will it be safe to drink, or should I just pitch it? I'd really rather not pitch the whole thing if possible.

EDIT: Derp, used search function and found tons of threads. I can't figure out how to delete this one, is there a way I can do it?

There were beads in your thermometer?.. That's a tough call, personally I would probably toss it though. could be fine particles of glass in there. plus you have no idea what was inside the glass

Dump.

I can see that being an epic failure if you managed to drink, or share a bottle with some glass particulate in it.

Only in extreme circumstances would I recommend dumping beer. This is one. Dump it. Risks r too great.

I did the exact same thing last year. Rolled with it and it ended up being one of my best beers. I would run it through some kind of strainer to get any glass chunks out. If you're not comfortable with that though then I guess I would dump it. I didn't have any issues with mine though.

Any glass particles will settle to the bottom with all the trub too. So after straining, if you siphon carefully and leave a little extra at the bottom of the kettle and again do the same when siphoning from the fermentor you are unlikely to transfer any glass. Same for the bottles. If you happened to transfer a small amount of glass it will settle to the bottom of the bottles so careful pouring and leaving a little behind should keep you safe. And finally, even if you ingested a small amount of glass it really isn't all that harmful believe it or not.

Dont mess with glass shards. Pitch the $50 worth of beer. Or you'll be wishing you can give 10X that to go back in time an undrink it....

I used to work at a bar. When a wine or liquor bottle broke, we'd filter it through a paper coffee filter which is way finer than the shards. I don't think that'd work here unless your MacGyver...... are you? I'd brew it and then give it to all the constant a-hole d-bags in my life with the biggest smile- kill em' with kindness right?

I'm amazed at how many "I broke my thermometer" threads there are. My thermometer is metal. I dropped it yesterday, (really) but not into my wort, onto the floor from 3 foot up. It survived. The only glass thing that gets near my wort, and then only in a sample tube is the damn hydrometer. If I could get a metal, digital hydrometer I'd pay $50 for it! :D

I wouldn't toss it. My bro and I are pretty into wine also. Tend to drink some high end bottles on occasion and once actually had a bottle neck break on us while removing the cork with another style of Corker due to age of cork. We sure were about to toss a $150 dollar bottle so we just layer a few cheesecloths other a strainer and poured it. Seriously if its fine enough to pass through a cheese cloth it will not hurt you. Just siphon into the bucket through the cheesecloth over a strainer and yo should be gtg.

I wouldn't worry about the glas, but what about the black beats? What are they made of? If they contain lead or other heavy metals they might make the beer toxic. Maybe you should filter the wort now to avoid that.

I wouldn't worry about the glas, but what about the black beats? What are they made of? If they contain lead or other heavy metals they might make the beer toxic. Maybe you should filter the wort now to avoid that.

The beads are just steel, not lead, so really no worries there.

Latest posts

Back