Clarifying agent procedures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savageskier

Reaction score
I’m making a pseudo lager with kveik lutra. I’m trying to work on the clarity of my beers. I used a whilfloc tablet at 10min left in the boil. When I chilled , I got a nice cold break and really nice clear wort. I dumped the whole thing into the fermenter. The proteins all dropped to the bottle in a nice layer.
Question 1: is this the wrong thing to do? Should I have siphoned off the clear layer into the fermenter? If so are there tips on how to do that?

I pitched the lutra and it took off and did its thing. Two days in and the protein layer was gone. A small amount of yeast was on the bottom of the fermenter, but much thinner of a layer than the proteins. The wort was then very cloudy and has remained that way.

Fermentation is now complete and I’m cold crashing at 36 degrees. I’m seeing a clear layer on top with a very distinct line where it gets cloudy again.
Q2: more for my curiosity, but what is happening with this stratification? Does it happen like that every time? What causes distinct layers?

Thanks!

Should I have siphoned off the clear layer into the fermenter?
Yes, ideally you want to transfer only the clear wort. You can use an auto-siphon, or if your kettle has a bottom drain, make sure the pick-up is set at a high enough level.

The wort was then very cloudy and has remained that way.
Lots of things can affect clarity and flocculation. Next time transfer only clear wort. Are you brewing all grain or extract?

what is happening with this stratification?
It's settling from top to bottom. Different yeast strains behave differently and are affected by fermentation conditions.

Welcome to the forum.

I generally try to minimize the amount of kettle trub that makes it into the fermenter but I always let some in and I don't worry about it. I don't think it impacts the clarity of the finished beer much.

Look up gelatin fining. That is probably the best solution for clear beer fast.

Question 1: is this the wrong thing to do? Should I have siphoned off the clear layer into the fermenter? If so are there tips on how to do that?
Clear wort and clear beer are only very slightly related. I dump it all in. Beer going into my bottles is often hazy. It clears within a short time.

I get the beer cold, do a closed injection of super f finings and that clears the beer very fast. It won't necessarily sort out chill haze, clarity ferm in the fermenter at the time of pitching might help that.
The other thing is cold and time it is a " lager" after all.

Back