Driving Folsom -> San Jose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start by heading a little North to Knee Deep in Auburn. Can't miss that.
Then head down to the City and hit up 21st Amendment, Cellarmaker & SpeakEasy. Lots more but those are my favorites.

Check out this map: Map of Bay Area Beer

Eh... if you go through SF, you could skip 21A, but Speakeasy and Cellarmaker are both good stops. Speakeasy in particular is fun, if you've got some time – they're out of the way, but they've always got a couple things on that you can't find in the store, and the taproom has this fun prohibition-era speakeasy vibe.

If you go the East Bay route, Drake's is definitely worth a stop, they've always got a couple crazy barrel-aged creations on tap. Jupiter and Triple Rock are sister brewpubs in downtown Berkeley which might be good stops around lunch time, Jupiter does a tasty pizza, Triple Rock solid burgers/sandwiches, and both an eminently drinkable lineup of house brews.

If the heat is getting to you as you drive down the Peninsula, you can stop at Gourmet Haus Staudt in Redwood City – they don't brew, but they've got half a dozen nice, refreshing German imports on tap, and a shaded biergarten to sit and enjoy them in.

San Jose has a bit of a budding local craft brew scene going on, but, alas, I can't tell you too much about it; it's too far of a schlepp on public transit, and beer tasting isn't much fun when somebody's gotta DD.

3rded for Heretic and 2nded for Knee Deep.

Also 2nded the SF ideas...although I think Cellarmaker would be my first stop. Driving in that area is a PITA though...

If you come through the south route (down 5 to 580 which is the faster route). Stop off in Livermore at Altamont Beer Works (especially if you like hops) and 8 bridges.

As it happens, my meetings in Folsom lasted longer than expected, and my buddy who I thought was flaking on me for dinner came through.

So I ended up not making a stop along the way, but got dinner at Bierhaus in Mountain View.

Thanks for all of your recommendations. Hopefully on a future trip I can make use of them.

As it happens, though, I'm not a big fan of Drakes. I've had too many infected bottles from them...

:( That's too bad. I've never had an issue with them and love their stuff.

Me too. There QC is outstanding, they'd be pretty shocked if you told them you had an infected bottle, and I know several of their brewstaff, so I'd encourage you to get in touch with them Bwarbiany.

I love Drakes. They are outstanding.

Back